40 litres /10 gallon stocking ideas - a list

Maybe I will just try copy/pasting scientific names? Idk... It just seems like too much trouble to go through. I cant memorize how to spell them and stuff

Maybe I will just try copy/pasting scientific names? Idk... It just seems like too much trouble to go through. I cant memorize how to spell them and stuff
Just start with the fish you are into, it helps because down the line you'll hear something else and there will be part of the name that sounds similar and you'll know theres a link. Eg Severums are Heros and there are a bunch of other big cichlids with Heros in the name like Maskaheros, Mesaheros so when I hear 'hero' in a name I think big cichlid.

Wills

A lot of stores and wholesalers make up names to make the fish sound attractive to would be buyers. The names they make up could be used at another store for a different fish. The same applies to different countries. For example, did you know that black skirt tetras and black widow tetras are the same fish, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi?
Then there's the tiny green fish usually referred to as neon green rasbora. One store near me calls them green tetras. (Latin name Microdevario kubotai).

Fish have different common names in different parts of the world. Those names may also mean a totally different fish in another part of the world.
Ive four LFS within 20 mins drive and the variants for common Livebearers name wise is mind boggling.

Fish have different common names in different parts of the world. Those names may also mean a totally different fish in another part of the world.
Ive four LFS within 20 mins drive and the variants for common Livebearers name wise is mind boggling.
Yah it can get confusing then... For me my LPS and chain stores all use the same names so... I guess I'm kinda blind to it

I think it’s awesome using Latin names

Always enjoy telling people about my pseudotropheus trewavasae

Little party trick lol

Most reactions

Back