40 Gallon Stocking

griddlebone

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Florida
Well, if anyone read my last topic, I have a 40 gallon tank with a single fish in it ( and i still am not sure what it is... lol) It is some sort of sunfish, and i want to know if there are anyone fish i could put into this tank with it. I wanted t buy what i thought was a yoyo loach, but it doesnt look like a yoyo loach at all, it looks like a tiger loach, you think I could mix them?
 
rofl, I just googled sunfish and the first article is a wiki for sunfish that says its the heaviest fish, adult weight of 1 TON! I guess its not one of those?
 
rofl, I just googled sunfish and the first article is a wiki for sunfish that says its the heaviest fish, adult weight of 1 TON! I guess its not one of those?
lol not the ocean sunfish, the lake kind XD they have no relation but have the same name... kinda confusing lol
 
can you get a pic?

Just googled sunfish and OMG how big!!!!!

Jake
 
In that case a few hardy species should be ok, I'd go for just a few dithers or catfish
 
the fish you have is called a blue gill.
they get about 12inches long and are very territorial.
 
the fish you have is called a blue gill.
they get about 12inches long and are very territorial.

could be a bluegill, but i have seen bluegill as small as my fish, and they do not look like him. im pretty sure hes a green or pumpkinseed sunfish. Either way, I want to know what kind of fish i can put with him, any ideas?
 
well my sunfish is giving my tiger loach a hard time, keeps chasing him around even though he is lsrger them him, length wise. do you think he will stop later? or should i add a cave or something for himto hide? i have a lot of plants in the tank, but they arnt doing much to keep him from chasing my tiger...
 
Hi, griddlebone,
I'm NOT an expert, but in view of previous comments, I'd separate them ASAP, take the loach back or rehome the sunfish.
If there's a Q tank or any suitable tank ready, personally, I'd get one or the other out immediately.
Any seriously bullying or continual harassment will very rapidly run down a fish and make it susceptible to illness, even if it's not injured outright.
The constant stress and fear would be terrible for anyone to suffer - and I've seen firsthand how bullying can wipe out almost half a tank (they were stunted and suffering from a mycobacterial infection, but did quite well up until that point despite deformities) previously managing quite well, so I do speak from painful experience in that area. A healthy fish might last longer - but in misery.
If you provide hiding spots and the loach survives in hiding, what kind of a life will that be?
He's been thrown in a ring with a lunatic bully and the only escape is into the open air to die.

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth, and with any luck an expert will come on soon, but immediate separation is something I'd strongly recommend.
 
Hi, griddlebone,
I'm NOT an expert, but in view of previous comments, I'd separate them ASAP, take the loach back or rehome the sunfish.
If there's a Q tank or any suitable tank ready, personally, I'd get one or the other out immediately.
Any seriously bullying or continual harassment will very rapidly run down a fish and make it susceptible to illness, even if it's not injured outright.
The constant stress and fear would be terrible for anyone to suffer - and I've seen firsthand how bullying can wipe out almost half a tank (they were stunted and suffering from a mycobacterial infection, but did quite well up until that point despite deformities) previously managing quite well, so I do speak from painful experience in that area. A healthy fish might last longer - but in misery.
If you provide hiding spots and the loach survives in hiding, what kind of a life will that be?
He's been thrown in a ring with a lunatic bully and the only escape is into the open air to die.

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth, and with any luck an expert will come on soon, but immediate separation is something I'd strongly recommend.

yes, i agree, but i just added them to the tank, and this has happened with my rosey barbs and rainbow shark before, and after a day or 2 they calmed down and didnt pay much attention to the shark. I have just never delt with sunfish, and i dont know anyone who has, so I dont know weather they react like the semi aggressive fish I have and get bored of my loach, or will it continue to bother him... though I do have other tanks, the loach is pretty agressive himself and gets too large for any of my other tanks and i have to say he started the this fight, he followed the fish everywhere. I'm hoping it just blows over since its there first day in this tank.
 
Well, you may well be right about them adjusting to each other - and you are the only one who can see how the situation feels, if you know what I mean.
Best of luck, in any event, and I hope someone who has kept sunfish will pop in with exoerienced advice, because not many people do have them.
An interesting but evidently tricky choice, in some respects.
 
add some rockwork to the tank and a few more loach, as they should be kept in groups
 

Most reactions

Back
Top