40-Gallon Breeder

🐠 The poll is open for the February TOTM! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It started with a 10-gallon column tank for my desk...then it spread to another 10-gallon regular to quarantine fish...and now it is stepped up a notch to a 40-gallon breeder. I figured it would be helpful for myself to have a single place to check how the tank has progressed over time...
IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

11/20/2022 - Day One - Initial Tank Setup

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Reaction score
Its looking really good!! I know its cycling but do you have a plan on what you want to stock it with? You have it planted, so that all should grow in very well!

OP
OP
PewPewChris

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Its looking really good!! I know its cycling but do you have a plan on what you want to stock it with? You have it planted, so that all should grow in very well!
I'm going to re-house my male blue dwarf gourami into the new tank as well as both mystery snails that are in my 10-gallon column today. That tank is going to house a new snail and a betta. I've also just picked up a pair of Electric Blue Ram's that will go into the new tank as well. They are currently in quarantine and cool little guys.

I'll probably do a handful of neon tetra's as I just love them and they remind me of my childhood. Outside of that, no idea.

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Reaction score
I'm going to re-house my male blue dwarf gourami into the new tank as well as both mystery snails that are in my 10-gallon column today. That tank is going to house a new snail and a betta. I've also just picked up a pair of Electric Blue Ram's that will go into the new tank as well. They are currently in quarantine and cool little guys.

I'll probably do a handful of neon tetra's as I just love them and they remind me of my childhood. Outside of that, no idea.
I love all the fish you mentioned BUT I would not do the electric blue rams with the dwarf gourami... It may cause aggression issues...
Maybe others with more experience can advise further on that.

Otherwise I like your idea!

OP
OP
PewPewChris

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This was the only cichlid I was going to put in this tank more than likely. I can always re-house the gourami back in the 10-gallon column if things are looking dicey.

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Don't forget rams need warmer water than most tropical fish so cardinal tetras or green/false neons (Paracheirodon simulans) would be better than cooler water neon tetras, but look similar.

OP
OP
PewPewChris

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_4359.jpg

12/4/2022 - Day 14 - Captain's Log...I'm eager to put fish in this tank...but the cycle continues. It is going well, should be done in the next 10 - 12 days is my guess. I'd like the spider wood to calm itself as well prior to putting in the fish. The main reason is when I do the big water change I want to find some good moss or plant to glue to the flat tops of the wood on both the left and right side and middle. Suggestions welcome...

OP
OP
PewPewChris

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_4374.jpg

12/5/2022 - Blacked out the back of the tank. Simply used poste board, cut to size and taped to the back/black rim of the tank. It's temporary but looks decent to me and was up in 2 - 3 minutes. I have some black suction cups coming for the air hose line, that will help the overall look.

OP
OP
PewPewChris

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

12/12/2022 - Day 22 - Tank is cycled and a handful of fish went in today. This will be a slow-going stocking of fish and additional plants, but I like where it is headed.

OP
OP
PewPewChris

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_4511.jpg

12/25/2022 - The tank is fully cycled and doing great with the handful of fish currently inhabiting the ecosystem. Since the last update I've added a few plants, changed out the air stone suction cups from white to black to hide them a little more, etc. Loving how it's coming together.

OP
OP
PewPewChris

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_4553.jpg

1/4/2023 - Happy New Year! Tank continues to evolve, and I am loving every minute of it! I need a good bit more substrate, so I've added one 5-pound bag of sand thru-out the tank. I have another sitting on standby and it will go in at the next water change.

The Fluval 307 continues to work well, and I have yet to mess with it since installing. I figure with canister filters; you'll know when it's time to crack them open if you are in-tune with your fish and tanks.

Most reactions

trending