40 Gal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shelly_Otterkin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 40 gal. tall that I am breaking down to switch over to new filter, gravel, the works. After the cycle could this tank work for 2 blood red parrots ? These would be the tank's only fish.

These fish have been reported to get 12" I personally don't think a 40g would be large enough. Sorry :/

I could see 1 maybbbeee.. but 2 is pushing it.. also consider that it's a tall tank.. they wouldnt really be able to swim back and forth much

My little girl wants a red devil and I was trying to find another fish that would be sim to it. Any other ideas for a 40 tall that will want to attack the glass as you walk by? :blink:

Jellybean parrot or convict, maybe? They stay a bit smaller...

jewel cichlids have a reputation for being extreme territorial when breeding and being just generally ill-tempered the rest of the time. they'd definitely be small enough for a 40g, but i'm not 100% sure that they'd "attack the glass". probably depends on the level of foot-traffic and planting.

on the plus side, jewels are also generally bright red :thumbs:

Yea you can find jewels in a few diff colors.. I have a few greenish ones, and a few red.. attacking the glass though isn't something I've seen mine do... my convicts don't do it either really.. I really cant think of any smallish cichlids that attack the glass

I've never seen a large cichlid attack the glass normally either, so it's kinda a moot point I think :lol:
They're way too busy begging for food to attack; they know what's up.

I HAVE had a breeding pair of jellybeans try to attack me, though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back