4-eye Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bunjiweb

mmmmmmmarines
Reaction score
We got 2 of these in at work, they are very cool. Only thing is they are brackish and i am told ideally need a vivarium of some sort, is this the case? I am contemplating setting up a tank for them.

Ben

Can you get a picture of them the next time you go to work and then post it on here? Because I'd like to see this.

hi Ben
Anableps (four-eyed fish) actually don't have 4 eyes they have 2
but the cornea is split, giving the illusion of 4 eyes.
this allows them to see both above and below the water simaltaniously.

they are, as you can gather, top dwellers and any tank they are in should be
filled lower than you would a normal tank. They are very skittish and great jumpers,
so a tight fitting lids is required.
I don't know what the SG requirements are, I'm sure CFC can help you there.

We had 4 of these at work and lost three to ich as they are sensative to meds, apparently.
The one we have left is fed daily on tubifex however he dose seem to like flake too.

HTH

I've unsuccessfully tried to keep them twice both times losing them over night after a few weeks to unexplained circumstances, though i suspect internal parasites may have been an issue as the fish would never gain weight. A tank with a lower water level is required, in a standard 4 foot long tank a water level of 8 inches is quite adequate. Keep the water at a SG of around 1.010 though obviously this will have to be raised slowly if they are in FW now.
Mine loved small crickets and meal worms though most foods will be accepted.

hi Ben
Anableps (four-eyed fish) actually don't have 4 eyes they have 2
but the cornea is split, giving the illusion of 4 eyes.
this allows them to see both above and below the water simaltaniously.
HTH

I knew this, but they are known as 4-eye fish.

Sounds all like far too much effort to me. can't afford to be setting up more big tanks...

Ben

Most reactions

Back