4.6g Tank. What To Stock?

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
657
Reaction score
1
Points
0
So, i have a 4.6G tank I'm using for my one month swordtail fry. Its still small, but should I put in a few other fishes with it? I was planning to put some small elastic bands around my filter so it doesnt suck up the fish.

Suggestions? I don't think my lfs take special orders since they're practically unknown. :/

I have no nearby popular lfs though.

So, I was thinking some puffers, or neon tetras. any other suggestions? I dont think Gouramis would be happy in a 4.6G
 
The only thing I would recommend for a tank that size would be some shrimp.
 
first thing we need to know, is if the tank is cycled. If so then your options are still going to be limited but at least you can put a 1-2 other things in still.
 
too small for most shoaling/active fish so neons are out of the question, the tank would be an ideal home for a betta, they've got tonnes of personality
 
Would be good for a betta as suggested, although with the fry so small, it may well get eaten by any fish that you put in.

Would make a nice shrimp set up though and the fry and any other fry you may get would be in no danger.
 
if you get an elite stingray filter they wont suck up the fry and if you have cherry shrimp that breed it wont suck up the shrimplets either and i find them really good little filters
is the tank an elite 21?
cos the surface area of the tank isnt very big so you couldn't have shoaling fish in there

i would go for a few dwarf shrimp varieties - cherry , tiger or amano maybe and only add them if your water conditions are perfect
shrimp will die if you have any ammonia or nitrites in your water

good luck

Sarah xx
 
Yep i go with a Betta or a few Dwarf Puffers!
 
if you grow up the sword fry and stop adding more to it...you could deff get away with cherry shrimp and about 7-9 white cloud minnows.


white clouds are 1 dollar at my LFS. i have 6 in my 3 gallon, all full grown and have had babies...along with one huge female cherry shrimp.





also white clouds are one of the hardiest fishes known to fishkeeping and can live in all temp ranges...best around 72 though and 50 degrees isnt uncommon for them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top