37g Tall Tank, My Stocking Plans, Opinions Please.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jeff000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
To start, my tank is tall, 18x20x28 Tall, 37 gallons.
While its a new tank still I purchased 2 sacks of ceramic balls (about the size of a 750ml pop bottle each) that my LFS has in a tank set up for the sole purpose of growing the benifitial bacteria. I put amonia in my tank to keep them alive untill I got fish, and even though I put way to much in everything leveled out over night.

So last night I went and got a few fish, my gf loves guppies so we got 6 of them, 2 male and 4 female. No plans on breeding, just a nice light snack for everything else, if one makes it then I will donate it back to the LFS.

So here is the list of what I want, please let me know if I should be adding these in a particular order.

The 6 Guppies
4 albino cory's
2 german rams
2 bolivian rams
4 marble hatchets
4 kuhli loaches (dont know if that will be too many fish near the bottom though)

I have lots of bog wood and several tall plants going in today, so there will be lots of cover. (but not crowded).

I am having trouble finding some mid tank fish though. Any recomendations?

I plan on adding the cory's in a few days, then the rams a few days after that, and then the hatchets a few days after that.

For feeding I have have flake food, dried blood worms, sinking pellets, and frozen blood worms.
Its hard to find feeding advice, so here is what I planed.
a sinking pellet per cory, and then alternate the flake food with the dried blood worms, and then once a week the frozen blood worms.
I was thinking the flake food morning and evning, but the rest just once a day in the evning.

Any Opinions would be great, thanks.

i would just have one type of ram an get a pair of it

I was hoping on a pair of each kind, I really like both and would hate to have to pick just one.

Also I dont know how to tell a male from female, the ones at the LFS are small still.

or would two pair be ok even?

To start, my tank is tall, 18x20x28 Tall, 37 gallons.
While its a new tank still I purchased 2 sacks of ceramic balls (about the size of a 750ml pop bottle each) that my LFS has in a tank set up for the sole purpose of growing the benifitial bacteria. I put amonia in my tank to keep them alive untill I got fish, and even though I put way to much in everything leveled out over night.

So last night I went and got a few fish, my gf loves guppies so we got 6 of them, 2 male and 4 female. No plans on breeding, just a nice light snack for everything else, if one makes it then I will donate it back to the LFS.

So here is the list of what I want, please let me know if I should be adding these in a particular order.

The 6 Guppies
4 albino cory's
2 german rams
2 bolivian rams
4 marble hatchets
4 kuhli loaches (dont know if that will be too many fish near the bottom though)

I have lots of bog wood and several tall plants going in today, so there will be lots of cover. (but not crowded).

I am having trouble finding some mid tank fish though. Any recomendations?

I plan on adding the cory's in a few days, then the rams a few days after that, and then the hatchets a few days after that.

For feeding I have have flake food, dried blood worms, sinking pellets, and frozen blood worms.
Its hard to find feeding advice, so here is what I planed.
a sinking pellet per cory, and then alternate the flake food with the dried blood worms, and then once a week the frozen blood worms.
I was thinking the flake food morning and evning, but the rest just once a day in the evning.

Any Opinions would be great, thanks.
The tank only has a 20x18" footprint so only one pair of Rams will fit. I feel it is a bit small for hatchets which can get up quite a burst of speed - and it would certainly be crowded on the bottom with 4 x 3"+ cories. IIWY I'd get C sterbai or C arcuatus instead of the aneus/paleatus (usual albinos although you can find albino sterbai if you search) as these are more active & stay a bit smaller.

Personally I'd get 4 pencilfish for the upper levels, 5-7 rosy, flame or pristella tetras ,or harlequins, for the middle, 4 2" ish cories for the bottom & eventually a pair of rams & that is the tank fully stocked once you add three ottos later still for algae control.

You need to be thinking of a month between additions and I'd leave cories & rams till the tank has been set up 4 & 6 months.

Feeding -I don't like dried bloodworm and you'll find all these fish do well on Tetra Prima as a staple with flake instead a couple of times a week and frozen food weekly. You can buy frozen mixtures or daphnia which would be better for these small fish than bloodworm.

HTH
Sue

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back