3 Of Those Hair Like Fins?

fishlette

Fish Addict
Reaction score
my husband boiught me a new pearl gourami a few days ago to replace my one that died. she is a beautiful girl however she has 3 of those hair like fins and although she seems perfectly healthy i am curious as to what this is and if it suggests a defect etc

mickeymousepearl003.jpg

mickeymousepearl013.jpg

any ideas anyone? unofrtunatley the pic doesnt show the three fins as i cant get a decent pic that shows them but they are there...trust me :)

This is a common deformity in gouramies and is entirely harmless.

There are also situations when the fin will split - giving the impression of three ventrals instead of the normal two. This can be the result of bad water quality, poor diet, nipping or infection. Just keep the water clean and watch in case there's bullying going on. If everything's fine and the fin's still the same in a month or so, it is genetic and nothing to be concerned about.

This is a common deformity in gouramies and is entirely harmless.

There are also situations when the fin will split - giving the impression of three ventrals instead of the normal two. This can be the result of bad water quality, poor diet, nipping or infection. Just keep the water clean and watch in case there's bullying going on. If everything's fine and the fin's still the same in a month or so, it is genetic and nothing to be concerned about.

awesome thank you! im assuming its a deformity as i have bought many fish from this place all have been healthy and i have been generally impressed by the tanks cleanliness etc. i thought myself when i saw her that it may have been split bit it is as thick and 'healthy' looking as the rest :)

thanks for your help

Most reactions

Back