3 days new and already made my first mistake..

bgraber

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all, new here and been browsing the past day or so after finding this wonderful forum! I wish i would have looked before buying my tank. I bought a 20 gal. rectangular with packaged heater, filter, de-chlor. gravel etc. The first night we added the dechlorinated water, gravel, driftwood and planted an Anubias. I actually just sat it on the bottom with the lead band weighing it down slightly. we got the tank to 76 deg. and the next day purchased 4 Rosy Tetras recommended by the guy @ one of the LFS's to "cycle" the tank. WIth the knowledge I have now, I feel kinda bad for the fish and am wondering what I can do after the fact to ease their plight. Should I go get a "filter squeezing" from the store? I'd really like to add a few more plants and I'm reading that they might help the condition in the tank. What would you folks reccomend?

hmmm as long as u dont get any more fish in the tank and ur Rosy look fine, good chance u will get away with the cycling and still manage to keep all the fish alive. just dont feed them to much, try to feed them only once every other day to limit the waste.

The way i cycle my tanks is to place 1 - 2 small fish in them for 3-5 day's alowing the tank to cycle and so far have had no problems cycling my tanks this way.

Damien

Would someone move this thread please? Im sorry :fun:

bgraber said:
Would someone move this thread please?  Im sorry  :fun:
*Moved upon request for better participation*

Welcome to the forum. :)

I would grab any gravel and filter media you can from the lfs you can to help seed your tank. :)

If your lfs will give you some filter media or gravel, that would be great. If not, try to do very small water changes every day to ease the cycling for your barbs (~2 gallons a day). It may take a little longer to finish the cycling, but it will help keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down a bit so you can save the fish. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back