29G Cycle Complete

tnhowery

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So my 29G with 35lbs LR has completely cycled my paramaters are all where they should be so now I am getting ready to stock some fish/ CUC.

First question: What kind of CUC and how many I have had people tell me 30+ snails but i cant believe that to be true.

Second:

I would like to keep:
2-Percula Clowns
1-Yellow Watchman Goby (or similar)
1-Pistol Shrimp
1-Coral Banded Shrimp (is this possible with the pistol?)
1-Six Line Wrasse

Is this too many and is this compatible, I am open to any and all suggestions as far as fish go. Oh and this will be a reef tank so they must be compatible. Thanks for replies!

TH

So my 29G with 35lbs LR has completely cycled my paramaters are all where they should be so now I am getting ready to stock some fish/ CUC.

First question: What kind of CUC and how many I have had people tell me 30+ snails but i cant believe that to be true.

Second:

I would like to keep:
2-Percula Clowns
1-Yellow Watchman Goby (or similar)
1-Pistol Shrimp
1-Coral Banded Shrimp (is this possible with the pistol?)
1-Six Line Wrasse

Is this too many and is this compatible, I am open to any and all suggestions as far as fish go. Oh and this will be a reef tank so they must be compatible. Thanks for replies!

TH

30 is a little overkill. I would get 3 or 4 turbos (preferably mexican), great workers. then maybe 5 astreas, 5 or 6 nassarius to turn over your sand. You can do some hermits if you want, or maybe a brittle star. With the shrimp you want, I wouldn't put any other shrimp in with them.

As for the shrimp, I would only do one or the other. I wouldn't trust the CBS with the pistol and I wouldn't trust the pistol with the CBS. Your stocking looks fine otherwise. I would put the shrimp and goby in BEFORE the sixline, however, as sixlines can sometimes get nasty with small fish and/or shrimp; it shouldn't be a problem if he is placed in afterwards.

Thanks for the reply nemo! And i knew the 30 snails was waay overboard lol :crazy: Anyway I have not decided on the CBS or Pistol yet i think the symbiosis between the pistol and goby would be fun but the CBS just looks bad@ss lol... anyway my wife has fallen in love with the kauderns cardinal, would it be possible to have two of them as well or is this my excuse for an upgrade? :unsure:

also what is the difference between a occearis and percula clownfish?? I see differences in markings but what else, also which is better wild caught or tank bred? Obviously I would lean to tank bred but whats the downfall?

Thanks again!

Kaudern's cardinal (I call them as Banggai cardinal), You could add one as well. But only one. Juveniles get along happily, but as they mature, two males (and possibly two females) will fight to the death. You would have to be very lucky and get a male/female in order for them to get along and sexing them as juveniles is near impossible (I personally, and others, have tried numerous times).

Although Seffie will disagree, I think Banggais are curious little fish. I have a pair in one of my baby clownfish tanks (a pair that took months and many wrong cardinals to finally get), hoping they will breed for me soon.

Other than markings, there is not too much difference. Ocellaris may get a tiny bit larger. I always tell people to get tank bred when possible :good: No real downfall from getting tank raised clowns, sometimes coloring can be different (I notice more difference in percs than ocellaris(, but you can influence coloring with different foods. Unlike other fish species, they even tend to be cheaper in price than wild caught. All-in-all a better choice IMO.

Thanks again nemo! I think i am getting closer to getting my first fish would there be any order to get them in like the clowns first or the goby first? I still think i may wait a week or two just cus i dont want to kill my first marine fish :sad:

Either the the clowns or the goby first. As long as your stats are where they need to be i'm sure they'll be fine :)
Perhaps try putting some of your CUC in first.

Will do gonna go pick up some tonight the LFS has a 3 for 3$ special on any type of snail right now, so i guess now is the time lol

Most reactions

Back