29 gallon tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Do you mean attach it to the side of the desk?

No. You want a sheet of plywood or particle board that is large enough for the tank (or tanks) to sit on the sheet. The board can be an inch or two longer and wider, just so long as the tanks are completely supported by the board. The board should be 1/2 inch or thicker for good support. I had to do this for my 40g tank; I bought the cabinet stand when I moved, and for some reason the tank was 1/4 inch longer than the top of the stand. I wasn't taking any chances, so I got a sheet of plywood to lay on the top of the stand and the tank on that; it has a 1-inch extension all around the tank.

[I don't understand the question in post #29.]

On the sand, yes, there is quite a lot of dirt in play sand. I tend to rinse it about five times, and then in it goes. It is just dirt, and won't hurt anything, and it will settle out.

And would it be ok with the tank sort of overlapped? (The 29g in front and the 10g in back. You would still be able to see the 10g, it'll just take off 3 in. from your view.)
I’m confused here. As long as the tanks don’t over hang on the sides of the stand.

Ok, bad news. The desk its onw not support it. It just won't. It is already bowed down in the center by at least 1/4". I put a thick piece of cedar under the tank, just for support. Right now, id say it has about 15 gallons in it. I don't want to take the chance of putting any more stress on the desk. Is it normal for it to be bowing? Or is this bad? How do you test the stability of a stand/structure for fish use? Also, I washed the sand, but the tank water is still really murky, maybe 4 inches of visibility from the front. Is this normal? Sorry for all of the questions, I have never owned a tank this big.

Ok, bad news. The desk its onw not support it. It just won't. It is already bowed down in the center by at least 1/4". I put a thick piece of cedar under the tank, just for support. Right now, id say it has about 15 gallons in it. I don't want to take the chance of putting any more stress on the desk. Is it normal for it to be bowing? Or is this bad? How do you test the stability of a stand/structure for fish use? Also, I washed the sand, but the tank water is still really murky, maybe 4 inches of visibility from the front. Is this normal? Sorry for all of the questions, I have never owned a tank this big.

We've no idea what the desk is like, but it would seem it is not stable enough to support any weight. The 29g and 10g will be something around 500 lbs in water alone.

The sand is normal. There are some ways to avoid much of the cloudiness. First, rinse the sand in small amounts (I generally use 5 meauring cups in a bucket) and rinse this five times. Then dump the sand in the tank. When you have the amount you want, fill the tank maybe half way (it will be very cloudy), and arrange the decor (wood, rock, plants, etc). When this is finished, drain the tank completely down to the sand. Then fill it slowly (water at the temp you intend); if using a Python, place the end in a large clean mixing bowl so the water fills the bowl and then slowly and gently runs over the rim. This stirs up considerably less of the sand. If using buckets, use a pitcher (a clean juice pitcher than holds 1-2 liters/quarts works well) and fill into the bowl, same idea. When the tank is full, turn on the filter (if you use one) and heater. I would not put fish in for 24 hours if this is a new tank (or newly acquired) just in case there are slow leaks.

Bowing s not good. You’ll need to find something else to use as a stand. I’d set the sand issue aside for now. If it’s been rinsed really well, it will settle and filter out once the filter is up and going. A proper stand is priority right now.

Thanks to both of you. So heres what happened.... I drained the tank all the way down to the sand. Then I moved the tank to this sitting spot in front of my window. I had my dad (who is a carpenter) come out and look at it, he said it would definitely support it. After I moved it, I refilled it (with tap water) about halfway. I stopped there because I honestly needed a break, I'm exhausted! I'll refill the rest of it either tonight, or tommorw moring.

I have a question, is it really safe to fill the whole tank up with regular tap water and then condition it? Like for my conditionor, its 10ml per 10 gallons. So would it be safe to pour 29ml in there once its full? The only reason why I ask is because I have always mixed it first, and then poured it in the tank. Thanks in advance.

(Note: the sitting spot is not paralel to the window, so the tank won't be in direct sunlight. )

Thanks to both of you. So heres what happened.... I drained the tank all the way down to the sand. Then I moved the tank to this sitting spot in front of my window. I had my dad (who is a carpenter) come out and look at it, he said it would definitely support it. After I moved it, I refilled it (with tap water) about halfway. I stopped there because I honestly needed a break, I'm exhausted! I'll refill the rest of it either tonight, or tommorw moring.

I have a question, is it really safe to fill the whole tank up with regular tap water and then condition it? Like for my conditionor, its 10ml per 10 gallons. So would it be safe to pour 29ml in there once its full? The only reason why I ask is because I have always mixed it first, and then poured it in the tank. Thanks in advance.

(Note: the sitting spot is not paralel to the window, so the tank won't be in direct sunlight. )

Be careful of the window...even diffused daylight can cause problem algae, I know, I used to get it every summer even with blinds closed, only thick drapes stopped it.

On the conditioner...I assume there are no fish in the tank. What about bacteria, did you use an existing filter to transfer bacteria, or not? I would not waste conditioner for no reason. And yes, you can add the conditioner to the full tank, I've done it often. If you only have chlorine you can just wait 24 hours and it will dissipate out, but chloramine needs conditioner no matter.

Since you are going to add a pre-existing (do I sound like a nurse) filter to start the cycle, you need to use the dechlorinator. That, or don’t add the filter for a couple of days. I confess, when I clean my 55 gallon, I just pour a full capful of prime directly in the tank with the fish. I make sure to agitate the water well. Fish have been fine for 3 years like that. :)

I put a black background on the tank, so that should help. Yes, I am using a cycled filter cartridge from my 10g. Ok, ill put the conditionor in tonight and put my BN pleco in tomorrow. Sound good? Any tips? :)

The only problem is....he is a fast little fish. My 10g (Which he is currently in) is heavily planted, hense making it hard to catch him, any pro tips?

The only problem is....he is a fast little fish. My 10g (Which he is currently in) is heavily planted, hense making it hard to catch him, any pro tips?

Use a large rather than small net. Place it at an angle to the front glass in one corner (right or left hand may determine which you prefer) and hold it steady. With your other hand, slowly "push" the fish around the side where you have the net and it will likely swim straingt into the stationary net, then close the net against the front glass and you should have the fish. They are good at squeezing between the net and glass of course. Sometimes a tap on the glass will keep it back in the net. Make sure the next is fully extended when stationary so the fish has something (cave-like) to swim into.

Ok, thank you. Just as an update I put a large piece of driftwood in the tank and put my biggest Anacharis pieces in there. I went ahead and moved the ZD over, because the tank he was in was having some issues. I plan to move the Pleco over soon. (I was thinking, can they be in the same tank? Because ZD's need 70 F, what do plecos need? Also, could I put red cherry shrimp in there?)

Update: I finally caught the pleco and put him in the 29g. I also added some river rocks and some more plants. I added about 10 cherry shrimp from my 10g, just to see how they do. I will probably be able to upload pictures tomorrow. :)

Update: I finally caught the pleco and put him in the 29g. I also added some river rocks and some more plants. I added about 10 cherry shrimp from my 10g, just to see how they do. I will probably be able to upload pictures tomorrow. :)
What are the water parameters testing at?

ph is a little high, I'm not sure why though. All other parameters are at normal levels.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back