29 Gallon Tank Stocking Question

TLocke

Reaction score
I just bought a 29 gallon aquarium from the Petco dollar per gallon sale, and I was wondering how many fish I could have without overcrowding. Would it be fine to have 2 Angelfish, 2 German Blue Rams, and 2 Apistogrammas?

I just bought a 29 gallon aquarium from the Petco dollar per gallon sale, and I was wondering how many fish I could have without overcrowding. Would it be fine to have 2 Angelfish, 2 German Blue Rams, and 2 Apistogrammas?
Angelfish get very large , about 6 inches so this tank is too small to house them. As for the other four i’m not too sure.

Please can you let us know the hardness (GH) of your water. We need both the number and the unit. This info may be available from your water provider.

The fish you have mentioned all require soft water. As already said 29G is too small for angels, but rams and apistos are both territorial cichlids and keeping them together will lead to problems.

If your water is soft you could choose one of the other two. The rams will limit your choice of tank mates more as they reqire warmer water than many tropical fish can tolerate in the long term. For a pair of apistos you could have a group of tetras and cories as tank mates. This assumes your water is soft. In this case you would still require a well planted tank with plenty of hiding spaces as the apistos will get quite nasty if they breed (even towards each other). Many people keep a single apisto in tanks this size for that reason. (However tetras and cories do need to be in groups of at least 6)

Seriouslyfish.com is a good site for researching fish, compatability and requirements. But you really do need to establish your water parameters first.

Most reactions

trending

Back