29 gallon stock with 4 bolivian rams

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

phildo5

Reaction score
hello, i have a fully cycled 29 gallon tank with 7 zebra danios (not long for this tank as they will probably be rehomed to another one of my tanks), 2 Ramshorn snails, and 4 Bolivian rams. id like to add a few more fish in the middle/upper region of my tank. i wanted to get a singe angelfish, but ive gotten a wide degree of opinions and it may be too small for him/her, thoughts? what about adding 2 molly's and 2 honey gourami's instead of the angel? or maybe a trio of Apistos? any ideas or remarks are greatly appreciated. thank you

4 Bolivians? Wow, I'm surprised you haven't had a fight. I'd monitor their behaviour.

An angelfish is too large for this tank, and a lone angelfish is not a good idea anyway given its expectations as a shoaling fish. And with the rams, you do not want any other dwarf cichlids, there is not space for territories. You may find trouble with the rams at some point, depending upon gender of the four--[as I was typing @HoldenOn posted...I agree]. Gourami are also not advisable with cichlids.

Before we can offer suggestions for fish, we need to know the water parameters. GH (general or total hardness) is the most important [this you may be able to get from your water authority if you don't already know, check their website], and pH too. For example, you mention mollies which must have relatively hard water, by comparison to the soft water preference of rams.

You have tons of choices still. Plus the smaller the fish, the more you can add. Nearly 30 gal. tank, you can add many things. What color is your substrate? What's your background color? Things like that make a difference. Are you wanting a particular fish to stand out? Plants? Real or fake, what colors? Design, design, design............. it can make a huge difference. Do you want people to be WOWED? Or is it just for you and more subdued?
hey hows it going? my substrate is non-natural look (blue variations) and my background is a the wall as its up against it. i have a matted 20 plant java fern and a bunch on java moss glued down on a bunch of objects.

An angelfish is too large for this tank, and a lone angelfish is not a good idea anyway given its expectations as a shoaling fish. And with the rams, you do not want any other dwarf cichlids, there is not space for territories. You may find trouble with the rams at some point, depending upon gender of the four--[as I was typing @HoldenOn posted...I agree]. Gourami are also not advisable with cichlids.

Before we can offer suggestions for fish, we need to know the water parameters. GH (general or total hardness) is the most important [this you may be able to get from your water authority if you don't already know, check their website], and pH too. For example, you mention mollies which must have relatively hard water, by comparison to the soft water preference of rams.
my tap is 100-120ppm KH, 140-160ppm and 8.2pH. tank sits at 7.2 pH i do put Indian almond leaves in my tank every other week.

my tap is 100-120ppm KH, 140-160ppm and 8.2pH. tank sits at 7.2 pH i do put Indian almond leaves in my tank every other week.

I assume the 140-160ppm is the GH, so this equates to 9 dGH (some like ppm, some degrees, so I tend to give both), and this is moderate to use a very subjective term. It is not hard enough for mollies to be healthy, so I would suggest you forget livebearers and consider the many species of fish that are more soft water but well able to function in this GH. The pH is fine.

As the four Bolivian Rams are definite, you need to work around them. Cories would be good if you have sand substrate. Some of the hatchetfish for the surface (need floating plants) perhaps. There are peaceful tetras that like the mid level. You need to think levels too, so you don't have all the fish in the same level.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back