29 Gallon Native Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lrhodes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So... I have decided to turn my empty 29 gallon into a native tank! I'm pretty excited!
Stocking will include orange spotted sunfish. The maximum record size was 5.9". And that is very rare. I have read that they are peaceful enough to live with goldfish and koi. So how many do you think I should put in there?
I haven't decided on anything else.
Maybe some darters if I decide... hmmm.
Fish around the TN river area.

What part of the states are you from? 

I remember while holidaying in florida as a kid i fished of a wooden platform with a cheap cane rod and caught what i think were small Crappies and Sunfish (not to sure on the exact id though) though they would make good critters for an aquarium though :)

I live in NE Mississippi. Close to the TN river.
If I spent more time on the lake, I would catch them myself. But I'm trying to find someone who fishes often to catch me some.
I was thinking about adding some rainbow darters. But I don't know if anyone could find them in this area or not.

I just googled Rainbow Darters and have to admit i'm quite jealous, your native fish seem a lot more colorful and diverse than we get here :)

Are you allowed to take fish there? Over here you can get into trouble for removing fish :( nonetheless i have sneakily taken a few roach, perch and carp home in a bucket for my pond when i used to have one  :p

I don't think there's an issue with taking fish. Just releasing them.
I don't guess I've ever saw a rainbow darter in person... but they are so beautiful!

they definitely are :)

Check if there are any local angling stores that would be able to give you some advice on catching some 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back