native north american fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The cardinal rule of native fishkeeping is once caught, never released. It may seem kind to do, but locally, at my old place, we had had a couple of really interesting species eliminated by summertime releases. The fish released would usually die by September, but would out compete natives during the crucial summer months. It's been a really serious issue for turtles, where invasives have really outcompeted local species for food, only to die when winter comes. It's probably for the best if the released tropicals at the glass factory run off died.

Even a native kept in a tank and released back where you caught it is a bad idea. The exposure to tropical fish diseases can play out in too many ways for it to be worth the risk.
i absolutely agree.

When younger I kept black bass and sun fish in a 55 long tank.. the sunfish spawned..
The black bass started to eat me out of house and home. A dozen night crawlers a day.
They all got dumped back into the same pond they came from on the farm.
I suspect I caught my old friend on a nice spinner bait a few times later.
If you want to see the best native fish tank of Missouri fish.. go to pro bass in springfield mo. It's huge.. unknown tank size. But contains bass, sunfish, blue gills catfish and walleye's

When younger I kept black bass and sun fish in a 55 long tank.. the sunfish spawned..
The black bass started to eat me out of house and home. A dozen night crawlers a day.
They all got dumped back into the same pond they came from on the farm.
I suspect I caught my old friend on a nice spinner bait a few times later.
If you want to see the best native fish tank of Missouri fish.. go to pro bass in springfield mo. It's huge.. unknown tank size. But contains bass, sunfish, blue gills catfish and walleye's
hi
yes we have been to Bass Pro in Branson MO. they have a big aquarium , put i think the one in Springfield is bigger. also there’s an additional aquarium in Springfield that is considered one of the best! it’s a 3 hour trip from here, but am definitely looking forward to looking back.☺️

Most reactions

Back