280L (61 Imp Gallons) Dempsey Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ohhh Lesley, ok. We'll call that even insulting each others fish :lol:

Yer, fingers crossed. They've lost interest in the mirror trick currently. My angels just sit there looking dumbfounded at their own reflection currently :look:

Not insulting him mate, he just has that sort of face that you could grab his cheeks (gill plates) and munch him. And yes if it were possible I would do it to chops too :lol:

Mirror not working??? I wonder if a picture of another male Jack would get them going??

Insulting wasnt the right term i was thinking of, more so slapping the 'bubba' look on each others fish :rofl:

Ok no more "bubbering" each others fish :lol: Although I think Bubba would suit Chops if I did want to change his name.

Caught up on this thread today - looking great. How does the current stock look? Any change from Jan 13th?

Current stock is the same as how it was on the 13th Jan, however i've added the platy fry from my planted tank into here temporarily, although out of 12 only 4 are left :lol: Hoping to cut down on the stocking (as previously mentioned). I'll be whittling it down to the Dempsey pair, the two plecs and two SAE's. Algae is starting to creep in quicker than before due to the higher bioload, so i'll be addressing this issue next.

Just swapped the filtration over. Moved the TetraTec EX1200 that was running on here upstairs with my Oscar (better for him), and that left me with setting up the Fluval FX5 on this tank. With no inner media i might add as it doesnt come supplied as i found out, i'll have to get some when i next get payed. So its currently running on just the filter foam around the outside circle (for those familiar with the FX5). Oh boy its like a whirlwind in the corner with the outlet!

Its far FAR more powerfull than i ever imagined. I'm counting on it slowing down slightly once it fully matures and i get the rest of the media in place. This filter was intended for my future 6x2x2, it wasnt by choice :hey:

Pictures to come once the stocking and algae issue has been addressed. :good:

Current stock is the same as how it was on the 13th Jan, however i've added the platy fry from my planted tank into here temporarily, although out of 12 only 4 are left :lol: Hoping to cut down on the stocking (as previously mentioned). I'll be whittling it down to the Dempsey pair, the two plecs and two SAE's. Algae is starting to creep in quicker than before due to the higher bioload, so i'll be addressing this issue next.

Just swapped the filtration over. Moved the TetraTec EX1200 that was running on here upstairs with my Oscar (better for him), and that left me with setting up the Fluval FX5 on this tank. With no inner media i might add as it doesnt come supplied as i found out, i'll have to get some when i next get payed. So its currently running on just the filter foam around the outside circle (for those familiar with the FX5). Oh boy its like a whirlwind in the corner with the outlet!

Its far FAR more powerfull than i ever imagined. I'm counting on it slowing down slightly once it fully matures and i get the rest of the media in place. This filter was intended for my future 6x2x2, it wasnt by choice :hey:

Pictures to come once the stocking and algae issue has been addressed. :good:

The same happened to us with the FX5. Didnt realise either and when we went to buy the media we were gonna have to buy so much prepacked stuff it was gonna end up ridiculous money. Luckily the girl in our lfs said they had loose stuff out the back and gave us enough rings and foam to fill it with some left over and all she charged was £15. So its worth checking round before you buy. By the way your EBJD is to die for :drool:

Oh i have no intention of buying stuff from a LFS to fill it! :lol: Ha i'm not daft... I'm going B&Q and various places similar to see what DIY stuff i can use. So long as it isnt coated in chemicals and is safe to use without leaking 'stuff' into the water column you can use pretty much anything. I'm tempted to steal some gravel from somewhere and see how it goes. So long as its chunky, with holes and doesnt fit together perfectly like a jigsaw it will do the same job as anything else.

My Jack is quite special i know :good: Thank-you :)

I use gravel in some of the baskets of my 405 in the turtle tank it works great :good:

Yesterday i kept looking at this tank and i just felt a big sense of dissapointment. Something wasnt right and i sat watching my fish for a little over an hour (lol), just staring at them and watching. I came to the conclusion that most of the inhabitants had to go. With the obvious exception to who stays (the Jacks ofcourse), so i set to netting the fish with great difficulty i might add. I removed the two angels, 2 of the 3 firemouths and the archer fish. They're was too little going on in the tank with everything hiding. Somehow? So the stockong of the tank was left as follows;

x1 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey male 8"
x1 Jack Dempsey female 6"
x1 Orange Spot Plec 3"
x1 Magnum Plec 4"
x1 Firemouth 2"
x2 SAE's 3-4"

I subsequently went out and bought some 'dithers' to entice my Jacks out more. They spend all day every day sulking in the far corner. The tank is vastly open with just the one corner to hide in, yet they sit all day not moving. I believe its either an issue with appropriate company in with them, or the circulation is too much. Jacks like slow moving water. I'm running a whirlpool in their with an FX5 with no inner media (just foam pads atm). So both will be addressed over the coming month (or two). So i came back from a LFS with the following;

x15 Yellow Tip Tetras
x18 Harlequin Rasboras

I'm sceptical whether they will survive, or if my Jacks will eat them. Time will tell i suppose. They did live harmoniously with Rummy-nose Tetras before, but that was over a year ago. Fingers crossed for now though.

Pictures will hopefully follow in the coming few days, as i havnt posted one for a little while. Stocking and tank decour has changed somewhat since the last update...so watch this space :)

Cheers,
James

If nothing else it looks like you are giving these changes thoughtful consideration. Sounds good. Look forward to more pictures.

Update time. For once though this update won't include picture sof my Jacks, for the sole fact they are being rather shy tonight. Refusing to budge, all 4 cichlids in their won't come out. Nevermind, the show must go on.

After having a little move around the other day as i (think) i mentioned, i've since been out and bought some more slate. This for the time being has just been plonked on the left side in a very unatural arrangement of caves, which my Sev and firemouth quite like incidentally. This however, will not stay as it is. So at a later date i'll work with these and get the improved layout up on here for all to see.

Full Tank Shots

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

The plants have been thinned out and the cuttings were sold in the classifieds, more may pop up soon depending on growth. As mentioned the rocks are to be moved as they look hideous as they are :lol: Going to have to go and buy some more root-tabs i think, as the growth with these before was good concidering this is technically a low-light tank (in terms of WPG anyway), and no CO2 or ferts in general. So i'll get some more and go from there.

Now onto the fish. I was getting tired of the tank-mates previously, and so i got rid of the old and bought some new inhabitants. The Harlequin Rasboras, Yellow Tip Tetra and a i bought 9 rasbora from Sweet Knowle Aquatics, unfortunately i only have 3 of the 9 rasbora left. They obviously werent right as they have all died one a day since i had them, so down to the last 3, which seem fine now. If anyone can get an ID on it i'd be gratefull.

Harlequin Rasbora

DSC_0009.jpg

Yellow Tip Tetra, and taking on an algae wafer

DSC_0018-2.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

Finally unknown Rasbora

DSC_0014-1.jpg

For the first day when i had all 9 they were a joy to watch. I'm gutted that they died, they were beautifull shoalers. I'll definately be getting some more when i get payed, and once the tank has fully recovered. Don't want to risk getting anything new anytime soon. They were £40 for the 9 aswell, so not cheap.

Finally one of the two true SAE's

DSC_0008.jpg

He's hiding in his favourite little hole alongside my magnum plec (which i never see!) and one lonesome bumblebee catfish (which i also never see)

And people still question that Jacks can be kept with such fish, pfftt.

Well thats all untill the plants fill in some more, and the Jacks come out! It's definately not 100% yet, and i doubt it ever will be, theres always something we all want to change. Hoping to start priming the female for spawning soon, frequent smaller water changes, with more feeding of frozen foods and possibly live food also.

cracking mate!! get some pics of the firemouth please :good: oh, and your sev for comparison to mine.

Cheers.

I think the Rasboras may have died due to ich?

Thats a very nice tank James :good:

Never spotted any indication/signs of ich in the tank with any of the fish. No other fish have been affected, only the new larger rasbora. Its a bit confusing. The remaining three seems ok, albeit a little washed out. I can see why you may say ich from that picture of the rasbora, but i assure you upon closer inspection it is not.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back