272L (71G) Lake Tanganyika Stocking Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Klinge

Reaction score
Hello
I'm planning on doing a 71G Lake Tanganyika Biotope aquarium and I need help with some stocking :) (It should also be noted I'm new to the hobby and this will be my first aquarium as an adult!)
Right now I've planned the following:

2x Julidochromis Marlieri, 2x Neolamprologus leleupi, 2x Altolamprologus compressiceps, 2x Neolamprologus tretocephalus, 2x Altolamprologus calvus and 4x Synodontis multipunctatus.
So what I want to know is the following: Can these species live together and can I increase the number of some of the fish (Maybe increase one of them to 4 and remove one of the others). I've googled and what i came up with is that most of the requires large groups of 15-20 if you want more than a pair. Is this true for all of them or can i increase the number on some of them without stressing them out.

Is this to many fish? or can i actually fit more.

Also do you have any ideas for Chiclids i should look into instead some of them i've chosen? (Im not into shell dwelers)

Hope you'll can help me!

Cheers! :)

Iā€™ve kept cichlids but not Lake Tanganyiha cichlids, so Iā€™ll leave it to others to respond to your questions.
But a dGH of around 20 as mentioned in your other post is really very hard water. I imagine that itā€™s underground water rather than water from a lake or stream.

Iā€™m sure there are parts of lake Tanganyiha with that high a GH, but not the entire lake, so some fish from the Lake may have problem with the hardness.

Iā€™ve kept cichlids but not Lake Tanganyiha cichlids, so Iā€™ll leave it to others to respond to your questions.
But a dGH of around 20 as mentioned in your other post is really very hard water. I imagine that itā€™s underground water rather than water from a lake or stream.

Iā€™m sure there are parts of lake Tanganyiha with that high a GH, but not the entire lake, so some fish from the Lake may have problem with the hardness.
Hey
Thanks for the reply

Iā€™ve checked and all these fish should be able to live in my water hardness as far as I could tell. Iā€™m just unsure about the stocking and such

Cheers

I'm not an expert in all the species that you mentioned but just to give some quick tips.

Firstly, never keep only two fish from the same species.
The more dominant fish will keep attacking or chasing the less dominant one.
It's better to have a minimum of 3-4 of each species to spread out the aggressions.

Secondly, Synodontis multipunctatus likes to be in a group preferably of at least 6.

Altolamprologus Calvus can be quite timid.
It will be better to have a bigger group of them.

For a good combination of fish, perhaps you can browse through the youtube for some reliable videos from the Fish expert.
But take note that some youtube videos are not reliable.

You can check these websites for fish compatibilities:

Some videos:

Hello, I am back :) Sorry for the absence.
I've been looking, searching and thinking about what I want to do with my tank and I think I've figured it out!
I really like the Altolamprologus Calvus, specially the black pearl colour pattern, and I want my aquarium to focus around them.
I've been looking for tank mates, and it has been difficult but i was considering Julidochromis Marlieri and Neolamprologus leleupi.
However i'm a bit confused
As seen in my post on this thread I had many other fish i would like, but i was told that it was better to keep them in a group of at least 4 instead of 2. So I was thinking this:

71g
4-6 Calvus
4-6 Julidochromis Marlieri
4-6 Neolamprologus Leleupi
6 Syndontis Multipunctatus
Will this be possible, what are your thought? Will the fish work together?

Cheers! Hopefully this thread isn't dead!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back