22 Aquariums Wiped Out!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fill a water bottle to the brim and cap it (so no ammonie can gas off) might help I guess

Bae

the fools decided they couldnt come out the same day and postponed the visit to Monday..... i will be really annoyed if the results then show zero! Either way, i will be submitting a complaint and asking them to replace my fish!

Snazy, you make a good point.... i will ask them to check everything. But the same thing could happen if the 'bad water' has gone by the time they test!

Maybe keep some water in a container as that's what they could be waiting for?

I would definitely keep as much evidence as you can! I would fill quite a couple of containers with water now so that they can't dispute loads of proof- it'll be much harder for them to disproove that they were at fault and so owe you money.

Honestly though, this is one of my biggest fears with fish keeping- that the water company mess around and cause a tank wipe out :(

Fill more than one container so the results are the same for both, otherwise they could claim you just added ammonia to water.

Sorry for your loss, will you be replacing with the same fish, or is it a little too soon to think about?

i dont really need to save any water. I have thought about this, but this would give no proof what so ever. I have a bottle of pure ammonia in the house, so i could just add a drop of that in it haha.

Anyway. Scottish Water arrived today. I will save you the rant about what a **** the guy was, but first thing he asked was if i had ever been to a library....oh wait...thats part of the rant

Basically, Scottish Water used to add chlorine to the water, but a few years ago they realised if they added ammonia....yes....AMMONIA!!! then they didnt need to add as much chlorine and they could provide better drinking water!

He explained that if it rains a lot, then their automatic system adds extra chlorine to compensate....which i can only assume means more ammonia! Anyway, obviously the ammoina that has been added previously is small enough for my filter to deal with, but this extra (2 PPM) of ammonia has been too much! He told me Scottish Water would do nothing about it as apparently all library and pet shops have a copy of Factsheet 6 which explains that they add amonia!

I have written to them with reciepts for my fish on the basis that 1 - the factsheet is not circulated well enough (i dont know a single person that knows water is added to your tap water!) and 2- the factsheet states that if you add conditioner, it will be ok (as i said above) but this obviously isnt the case for the 'super chlorinated water' as the guy called it.

Either way, that is £591 of fish i have lost! Yes, i just calculated it! And i doubt i will see any of it again. It makes me just want to buy a dog!

You could mention that if the press got hold of this think what they could do with it, I mean if it kills fish what is it doing to us, that kind of line, they will act on it then.

That's so unlucky. I was trying to check the national water drinking standards and according to the sheet below the ammonium contained in drinking water shouldn't be more than 0.50 ppm? Not sure it's the best source for info

http://dwi.defra.gov...egs2007cons.pdf

Also, they should have announced it publicly you would think?

im scared to do a water change!! i used to live in Aberdeen too...scary! almost £600 out of pocket and a load of tanks with "good" bacteria dying off as we speak,(as your fish have passed away :rip: ) id have thrown alot of water over the water board man....grrrrrrr

I will not be letting this rest. I work in the oil and gas industry and sit next to one of the chemists....very handy!

If they dont give me my money straight away, i have a whole heap of things up my sleeve to throw at them....things the guy did wrong and the fact their factsheet states your filter will deal with the bacteria....when in fact we know if you add water with 2PPM ammonia your filter aint gonna survive...nor will your fish!

I waited a LONG time for all my tanks to be ready after fishless cycling, and as MrsM says, i am going to have to go through this yet again....and the expense! I am contemplating putting the fish in the house and shutting down my fishroom for winter as its expensive to run the whole room for two tanks with a couple fish (i didnt change the water in two tanks as one only has 4 fish and another has high PH fish.)

I would hate for this to happen to me, i feel for you i really do, stay strong and give them hell!!!! Good luck and hugs!

Sorry to drag this sad thread up, but it is not likely to be ammonia in the water, but chloramine and/or its reaction products. I think chloramine can interfere with "hobby grade" ammonia test kits giving false readings of ammonia even though there is none. Chloramine is used instead of chlorine by some water boards. Also is put in water if there is a chance water is/has been contaminated in emergencies.

"On the other hand, when your tapwater tests positive for ammonia, this is a sign that your water is being treated with chloramines...." From Sceptical Aquarist. http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/chlorine-chloramine

Some water boards are moving to chloramine as well.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=179

I once lived at the bottom of a hill and there was a water pipe burst at top of hill, a monsterous flooded pit and fountain appeared and obviously my water pressure dropped. However houses at top of hill the water pressure went negative pulling in dirt (and maybe washing machine water from incorrectly plumbed in washing machines !!!) so water board injected chloraminated water at bottom of hill to sterilize the water. My water went cloudy, slightly greenish/brownish and wiffed of chlorine. We were advised, leaflet through the door (and a man in a van with loud hailer), to boil all drinking water, let cold water stand in bath for an hour, before adding hot and not to use for changing fish water !!!!! I ignored it all drunk it and bathed, only lasted a day or two before cleared up,

Chloramine is easily removed by most, but not all, dechlorinators. (and activated carbon).

A comparison of dechlorinators here.
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-cond.htm

More detailed here.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?267481-Dechlorinator-Comparison

THis thread was started in November 2012, so whilst your information is excellent, I suspect it's of little value to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Back