20gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lokemer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
the middle o' bum**** and you got a purty mouf
So I am thinking about making my empty twenty gallon tank into a dp tank and I have just a few questions I want to clarify on. 1: Does the substrate have to be sand or is sand prefered? 2:Have they ever been taught to eat flake or pellets if not can they eat cut up or baby earthworm. 3: how many dp'S can I have in a twenty g? 4:about how many plants do I need in with them? I have read the pinned article I just want some clarification. All help is appreciated. :)

Come on guys 14 views and still no answer???

Come on guys 14 views and still no answer???
sand is prefered as they burrow and IMO is a must

flakes and or pellets arent really a good diet for DP's research their diets they will take snails, bloodworms, black worms etc

are we talking US G or IMP G?

you need to cram it with plants for DP's i would say 80% substrate coverage.

Us gallons. And if I just breed snails in the same tank will they just eat them all with no chance of reproduction for the snails or will they only keep the population down?

Maybe that answer depends on what type of snails you get. I have MTS with my 2 Dp's and I honestly never see them in the daytime. Once lights are out, about 50+ show up and are gone again before day again.

You could get away with 4, maybe 5, in your 20. As stated earlier, plant coverage is a must with these fish. IME anyways. I pulled half of my fake plants out of my 10 and replaced them with live ones, and one of my DPs still hasn't recovered from it. Both of mine startle way easier now since there isn't as much plant coverage anymore. So, again, throw plants in it like crazy or they will go crazy with boredom, too.

Good choice on the DPs, 20 gallon (US) would be a nice setup for them. :good:

BobRoss

im not realy surr what snails ima get. will snails deal as a main diet for the dps? can i use fake plabts instead of real? thank you guys so much im one step closer to my dps! :shout:
get snails with weak shells like ramshorns, i feed snails twice a week, and yes you can use fake plants but they dont look very good, real is always better aslong as you get the right ones that are suited to your tank from the start

i give mine snails, but mine are intriguid by this huge pumice rock in my tank, and over a period of a day, they nibble it at least 12 times!

its hilarious :D

Sand or gravel is ok, I've used both in my DP tanks :D

Fake plants are ok and you can get nice ones if you look hard enough...these are silk with some real moss balls and crypts with fine black gravel.
p5.jpg

I added more of the silk plants after this pic was taken.

I now have sand in a DP tank and mine don't burrow from what I've noticed, but they do like lots of plants and caves in the tank to break up their line of sight and keep them feeling secure :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back