200 gallon and Black Arowana

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Levine

Reaction score
I have my 200 gallon tank cycled and ready for fishes. Now a 200 gallon tank is huge to me, but can a single Black Arowana live out its life in it? I just decided to get the Arowana after MUCH MUCH consideration and was planning on Discus but the Black Arowana just looks so gorgeous. I dont want to buy the fish if it cant live out its life comfortably. Is 200 gallons suitable for it?

in my experience i would say yes it would be fine but CFC will tell you for certain and your tank would be better to be longer rather than square and high if you see what i mean cause most of the time they are top swimmers hope this helps :blink:

I think you will be fine ... I am not sure the dimensions of a 200g but as long as it is 6ft+ you should be ok .. Get a clown knife to go with the arrowana .. They grow just as big and look good together in my opinion but I might be a little bias.

There is a lot of confusion over the eventual size of black arowanas, some say they top out at a little over 2 feet while others say they will get just as large as the silvers and can grow to 4 feet plus. I tend to lean towards the side of them being one of the smaller arowana species, ive yet to see one reach the 30 inch mark, as long as the tank is a minumum of 6x2x2' then your arowana will be ok in there for many years if not life though a tank of 8x3x3 would be the optimum size for any arowana species.

Before you buy your arowana i'll offer you a little advise, many of the black arowanas that come into the trade now still have their egg sack attached, if the one you are going to buy has this do not buy it, also before buying the arowana ask to see it/them fed, arowanas are always hungry and should readily accept the food, if they do not feed or the lfs owner/manager refuses to feed them do not buy them. Try to buy the biggest and strongest one from the tank, small arowanas are very delicate and can be fussy eaters so there is a very high rate of mortality in fish under 6"

6X2X2 is only 150 there CFC.

I'd like to speak towards the clown knife idea. There are a few clown knife owners that I have spoken too who say that there clown knives will attack anyhing that moves includeing larger fish. Now I'm not sure who would win a battle between the two but its best not to battle at all IMO.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back