20 Year Old Plecostomus, Free (please, Otherwise It'll End Up In A

eli3k

Reaction score
I have a Pleco that I have been keeping for the past 20 years. Situations have arisen that have resulted in my inability to take care of my aquarium and this fish. It's been with me for 20 years, but by this time tomorrow, my uncle will be taking the fish away to let it be 'free' in the wild. It's about 10-11inches long, quite aggressive when there are larger fish around. If you'd like to take it, or know a better place for it to go, please let me know soon, PM me, email me (eliluong - gmail). I am located in Garden Grove, CA.

Thanks,
- Eli

I have a Pleco that I have been keeping for the past 20 years. Situations have arisen that have resulted in my inability to take care of my aquarium and this fish. It's been with me for 20 years, but by this time tomorrow, my uncle will be taking the fish away to let it be 'free' in the wild. It's about 10-11inches long, quite aggressive when there are larger fish around. If you'd like to take it, or know a better place for it to go, please let me know soon, PM me, email me (eliluong - gmail). I am located in Garden Grove, CA.

Thanks,
- Eli

Its probs not a native species to your area so its not fair to the fish and its very irresponsible the enviroment if you had given more notice someone would have taken it or you could have sold it to you LFS. People did this with bull frogs and other species and they take over if you actually dont know this of dont care you should never keep fish again.

Your best bet is contacting a local aquarium society or club. There are many in California, here is a link to a list of clubs, just click on the name; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=292232

The club I'm involved with has done this countless times, for countless reasons. The only reason club members really need is that a fish needs a new home. I as well as other club members have opened up a huge amount of tank space in less than a day several times. If you were near me I could have that fish in 150 gallons of water tomorrow night.

Please do not release that fish into your local environment. It stands a slim chance of survival in most cases, in cases where it does survive the impact on local species can not be predicted.

Most reactions

Back