2 Things I'd Like Clarification On.

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

RobbieArtois

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently cycled a new tank. Levels were fine etc, but before I added any new fish I also added a live plant for the obvious reasons. Although I can only see that one small snail has crept in to the tank, there now appears to be small jelly like substances on some of the rocks at the bottom of the tank. They have a translucent outer area and whitish nucleus. Are we thinking this is snail eggs? If not, what the hell else could it be? I'll try and attach a picture. I only have 3 Endlers in there, so definitely not fish eggs. Could it be anything else?

Secondly, as I say, I have 3 Endler Livebearers. 2 of them are getting on really well, feeding well, active etc.. But the other one spends a lot of time at the bottom of the tank, and I've just realised the poor thing has a 'lump' or growth by its gill area (a bit like stuffing coming out of a teddy). Again I'll try and upload a pic. Any idea what I should do? They've only been in there 2 weeks. Any thoughts?

I've been out of the fish keeping game for over 10years, so finding my feet again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 109
Your fish has fungus, which will need treating with a med from your local fish shop (LFS).

How did you cycle the tank and what were your most recent readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? I only ask as fungus can be associated with poor water quality, although it is common as a secondary infection on wounds as well.

The jelly like substance is simply rotting food. you'll need to do a good gravel clean and water change, and it's probably a sign you're overfeeding (don't worry, it's easily done, especially if you have just a few small fish!).

Yes I agree with fluttermouth. Definitely fungus and rotting food.

Thanks for the help and advice guys. I was directed by my local aquarium to use two types of treatment (can't think of the names offhand, but can look for them if it helps). I took many readings before adding any fish, and subsequent readings and they all appear safe according to the chart. If its helpful, I'll jot them down next time.

As for over feeding, I fear you may be right. I've done my best (a) not to feed every day, and (b) to do the smallest pinch possible - due to the number of fish. I also tried to scope out as much food if not eaten after a couple of minutes. I have a cyphon cleaner, I'll try and get more out.

With regards to the treatment, will the fish need to be taken out of the tank and treated separately? I bought a small emergency tank, but haven't used it yet, and don't have a spare heater, filter etc if the fish needs to stay in the other tank for a log period of time. What's the plan of action I should take?

I would do a 50% water change. Cleaning the gravel.

Treat the sick fish in the main tank, it's usually better.

The numbers from your tests would be really helpful, yes, but do a good big water change and get started on a treatment programme as a first priority :)

Wait, what...you feed hardly anything and not every day? You should feed at least 2-4 times every day in small amounts. Fish can go for a week or 10 days without food but you shouldn't not feed every day on a regular basis. If, however, you don't do enough water changes/gravel I'm sure it has to do something with that.

Kordons Rid Ich also treats other fungus diseases. i just had to treat my 55 gallon tank. Unfortunately, I had 4 fish die from it before I could figure out what it was and start treatment. 3 - 4 days of treatment but be sure to remove the carbon from your filter while treating. 

Noahsfish said:
Wait, what...you feed hardly anything and not every day? You should feed at least 2-4 times every day in small amounts. Fish can go for a week or 10 days without food but you shouldn't not feed every day on a regular basis. If, however, you don't do enough water changes/gravel I'm sure it has to do something with that.
What is your basis for this opinion? I never feed daily. My fish eat every other day so that they are encouraged to do as they would in their natural habitat: scavenge for leftovers, small particles worth eating, little bits of plant matter, etc. When you consider that most commercial foods instruct you to feed multiple times a day, you also have to consider that these brands are trying to make a profit. If you use more, you buy more food faster than you would if you used an appropriate amount for a fish. It is my understanding that fish have relatively slow digestive systems (I could be quite wrong, however), so it makes sense that by feeding multiple times a day you are effectively clogging the digestive tract. What caused you to form this opinion? I'm quite curious to know, as I'm always ready to learn a little something.

I agree with attibones. I feed a minuscule amount once daily. And I skip every third day or so. Its good for fish to fast, helps with digestion. When I started I was going by the instructions and just had leftovers everywhere.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back