2 of my 3 albino Cory's lost fins.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Larry Licata

Reaction score
Hey, 2 of my 3 albino Cory's have lost their fins. I am not sure if I have a tail nipper in the tank or If I am dealing with infection. Here are my tank deets:
40 gal community tank well cycled.
5 ember tetras
1 neon
5 danios
PXL_20210124_151343743.jpg

Planted tank
Water change at least 50% a few days ago.
Ph sits at 6.8 ( can do full testing if needed)
Looks like the fish are still eating but are for sure not happy.
There have been no new additions or losses in the last 6 months.
I can certainly set up a recovery tank if needed.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• PXL_20210124_151534272.jpg
    PXL_20210124_151534272.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 54
The one in your picture looks damaged and certainly not full. Almost like it could be fin rot? Is any of the other fish aggressive towards the cory or is there anything else that may be stressing him out?

That poor cory looks terrible, sad to say...what kind of danios?

The one in your picture looks damaged and certainly not full. Almost like it could be fin rot? Is any of the other fish aggressive towards the cory or is there anything else that may be stressing him out?
I do not see any aggression at all from anyone else. The only culprit could be the solo neon from another tank. But I would assume the fin nipping would be almost immediately. (Like 6 months ago) this fin loss started about 7 days ago.

I'm no fish disease expert, but I would bet disease over aggression...corys (generally) do much better on sand substrates vs. gravel, but this is something much more serious...

Like I said, I'm no expert with fish diseases, I've been lucky and haven't dealt with many...hopefully someone with more experience will chime in for you.
Do you have a liquid test kit? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

Like I said, I'm no expert with fish diseases, I've been lucky and haven't dealt with many...hopefully someone with more experience will chime in for you.
Do you have a liquid test kit? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

That is very close to it's body and needs treating sooner rather than later. What treatments do you have?
Medication containing phenoxyethanol? Melafix? If you have aquarium salt add 3grams per litre.
If it reaches the body it will probably only survive with formalin or antibiotics but they are hard to get and I wouldn't recommend these anyway as we are not 100% on the cause.
I hope you can find something to help.

Up your maintenance to keep everything super clean and change to sand when you can.

Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 6.6 ordered up melafix will be here in the am. Now should I set up a hospital tank?

What kind of test kit do you use? Water conditioner?

Good with the test kit, when you run out of the conditioner, get some Seachem Prime, best stuff out there, IMO

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back