2 months - 15 fish dead! What am I doing wrong?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paulfoel

Reaction score
Bought test kit - all the levels are right.
Change the water regularly
I dont overfeed them.
Temp seem ok.

Yet still they don't last long and die - any ideas?

Please post actual water test results, with pictures if possible. Also post specific water temperature and what volume of water - and how often - you change it.

And let us know what fish you have, which ones you've lost, and post a picture of the entire tank as well, and tank size.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your water hardness? You can get that reading from the Water company that supplies your water. What species of fish do you have? What size is your tank?
Do you use a chlorine remover/conditioner when doing your water changes?

Last edited:
Bought test kit - all the levels are right.
Change the water regularly
Please list the value from each test you did with the test kit. Ocaationally we seee people misinterpreted the raadings. How much water do you change out and how long do your go before another change.? Do you dechlorinate the water before you add it to the tank? Were the fish behaving normally or looked abnormal just before hey died?

Everyone seems to want readings, but it would help to know what fish, and how many in what sized tank. You could have perfect numbers and have a red tailed shark or another nasty knocking fish off at night.

Hi all,

OK heres the result this morning.

Ph - 8
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
KH - 6
GH -12

GH is a bit high isnt it? (Although it was 7 last week).
(Im in south wales which apparently is a soft water area)

Yes using tap safe stuff every water change (25% of the water about once a week) and prime every few days (or do I need to stop that now)?

We've had about 8-10 guppys die now, 4-5 neon tetra. Only ever had a max of 8 at any one time in the tank. Its 45l btw. and yes we've got an air pump.
Down to 2 guppys and 1 tetra now :-(

I did notice its done a little hot last few days but never out of the green on the thermostat. So I have tried bags of ice.

Attachments

• 20220814_121923.jpg
    20220814_121923.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220814_121928.jpg
    20220814_121928.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220814_121911.jpg
    20220814_121911.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220814_121916.jpg
    20220814_121916.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 40
nah just Guppys and neon tetras in the tank.

45l - most we've had at any time is about 7-8.

Was the gravel you used designed for fish tanks? Some non-aquarium coloured gravel can leech toxic dyes into the water.
If your GH had increased, something is increasing it. Could the substrate be dyed coral or limestone?

Are you spraying anything nearby. My missus loves to use air freshener but it's dangerous to fish if it gets in the water.

Was the gravel you used designed for fish tanks? Some non-aquarium coloured gravel can leech toxic dyes into the water.
If your GH had increased, something is increasing it. Could the substrate be dyed coral or limestone?
well bought it from the place we bought the fish.

OK water changed tonight and I tested the water afterwards and the tap water.

Tap water was coming out about 8, same with new tank water.

Is this right for the type of fish?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back