170 G Tank Filter?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Greer

Reaction score
Hey, not sure if I'm posting in the right part so please direct me if I'm wrong
I recently bought a 6'2'2' tank, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for filtration ?
Cheers

Thats a 180 gallon btw :D 

I run a fluval fx5 along with 2 aqueon quietflows 55/75 on the back and it works great for me!

If you can afford it, I would suggest running two Marineland C-360 canisters.  Combined, they will support up to 200 gals.  If you look around online or from a LFS such as PetSmart, you may find them for ~$100/each.  The higher priced versions from Hagen Fluval like the fx series are some of the best canisters on the market, but you will easily spend ~$350/each (that I can find online).

You can also run a setup like sawickib mentioned, with 1 canster and a large bio-wheel.

Can't wait to see the progress!  Will you be starting a freshwater journal?

Oh hahah thanks for the correction, I'm used to working with litres :p
Thanks for the replies, BiggTexx - what do you mean by "large bio-wheel" ? I'm not very good with all the terminology yet hahah
I've got a few cannisters already, would one of them/a combination of them work?
I have:
Aqua One Aquis 1250
Aqua One Neutilus 1400
Ehiem 2217

& yeah I'm going to try to make a journal, I'll just have to look up how to start it! :)

I am looking at putting a pond filter on my 6x2x2 + an overhead sump

I don't really know anything about sumps but i have heard a lot of people use them

I dont really either, never had one before, but the overhead i seen on youtube seems pretty simple to do....plus i can grow some plant hydroponically in the sump to help with nitrates. (i will be keeping goldies)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back