16 Year Old Adam's 300 Gallon Display Tank...

Lol I'm 15 and I was wondering the same thing, I would set my 270gal up as salt water...If I had the money.Just the regular salt WC's would be too much.

Lol I'm 15 and I was wondering the same thing, I would set my 270gal up as salt water...If I had the money.Just the regular salt WC's would be too much.

Saltwater water changes are much smaller than tropical imo.

They range from 10% a week to 5% a month on some systems so really I much prefer it.

To be honest you're lucky to have a 270g, the biggest I can get in my house is my 40g marine.

To be honest if you want marines couldn't you get a smaller aquarium for them? (One of your 8 XD)

Work folks :p Im working in Maidenhead Aquatics over the summer, and have managed to get just over 1k together...

And yepp! results for me tomorrow aswell! Will let everyone know how i get on...

Something I'm sure you've thought of before now, is getting in a Structural engineer to check the floor will take the weight. I'm going to struggle to get my 4X2X2 off the ground in a solidly built house, as my floor may not be able to take it... That tank will weight 1500KG in water alone, plus the tank, rock, equipment, salt (all 40ish KG of it you'll need for the initial fill) and accessory weight. Basically, when you have that full, it will weigh as much as an articulated lorry without it's load, and that lotty will be sat on the floor in that spot. Would you be confident in that floor taking that kind of weight? Spend about a hundered quid and get it checked, or the floor could go thought wasting a few grand in gear. Also, most insurance firms won't shell out for floor damage due to aquariums being placed on them, so you'd likely have to shell out for house repairs and re-decoration in that case too :crazy: You seem clued up about tanks and their "complications" though, so you've probably realised that already and had it checked, I hope :unsure:

All the best
Rabbut

6" Reinforced concrete, dont think its going to go anywhere to be honest

Work folks :p Im working in Maidenhead Aquatics over the summer, and have managed to get just over 1k together...

And yepp! results for me tomorrow aswell! Will let everyone know how i get on...

I'm going to be working at Maidenhead Aquatics too soon, the new one in Brighton :).

Yes results tomorrow :eek:.

Something I'm sure you've thought of before now, is getting in a Structural engineer to check the floor will take the weight. I'm going to struggle to get my 4X2X2 off the ground in a solidly built house, as my floor may not be able to take it... That tank will weight 1500KG in water alone, plus the tank, rock, equipment, salt (all 40ish KG of it you'll need for the initial fill) and accessory weight. Basically, when you have that full, it will weigh as much as an articulated lorry without it's load, and that lotty will be sat on the floor in that spot. Would you be confident in that floor taking that kind of weight? Spend about a hundered quid and get it checked, or the floor could go thought wasting a few grand in gear. Also, most insurance firms won't shell out for floor damage due to aquariums being placed on them, so you'd likely have to shell out for house repairs and re-decoration in that case too :crazy: You seem clued up about tanks and their "complications" though, so you've probably realised that already and had it checked, I hope :unsure:

All the best
Rabbut

6" Reinforced concrete, dont think its going to go anywhere to be honest

You can't be using feet on that to take the weight. Feet will lead to the base cracking, then the two (or more) parts will become un-level, making the tank un-level, cracking the base, or if it is a minor tip, you'll eventually have a seam failure after putting up with the tank obviously not looking level... However, if you are able to spread the weight of the system over the entire concrete base beneath the tank, you should be fine. Basically, if the cabinet has feet, take them off and hence put the flat base of the cabinet onto the concrete. The base of the stand would need to be at least 1" thick ply to spread the weight enough to avoid cracking it, chipboard, MDF e.t.c or thiner ply will not give enough spread.

With spread weight, you *should" get away with it, but a standard tank cabinet will not spread the weight enough for it to be safe. At least your project is doable with your base with a well designed stand, I've had to abandon my 150g project due to too little access to install a concrete base for mine, so I'm having to try a down-sized plan of around 100g instead if I'm to up-grade my marine tank at all :sad:

Good luck to everyone getting GCSE results today :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Makes my GCSE results look rubbish :rolleyes: I only got the one A*, and that was in Science... Mind you, I got mine a few of years back, probibly wouldn't even get that now...

Well done you two :hyper:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back