##150### Problem

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Software programs such as the afore mentioned don't have built in common sense, your brain does. That's a pretty good indication as to which you should trust :good:

Just getting back to the filtration, is the fluval 206 adequate or should I also hook up the tetra whisperer ex45?

Ok, thanks guys. That makes sense. Here was my intended fish:
10 neon tetra
8 rummynose tetra
6 corydoras
6 oto cats
1 bristlenose pleco
1 or 2 bolivian ram

For a 45 (US gallon?) or 170l I would personally think about leaving out the BN catfish for now at least and instead concentrate on the four schooling species and the Ram, getting at least 8 of each social species.

Given that Rams need ~25C, you may need to do some research about which Oto species will be happy at permanent tropical temps, I think of them of being from slightly cooler waters (but someone did post about Rams being found in the same waters as Otos).

In addition you will need to carefully choose your Corydoras group, because ~25C is not good for some types like Trilineatus or Peppered (that can be found in 16/15C in the wild), the most obvious one that springs to mind as a good match is Sterbai (but there are a few others readily available that do well in the mid to high 20s).

Personally I would choose one type of tetra and have 15+ instead of the 2 species. I am very sure that the behavior with every addition to your numbers will be interesting and more natural.

Bristlenoses are awesome!!! I wouldn't keep them in a 45 gallon unless I was prepared for their bioload and big huge poo. I have had 2 full grown BN's in a 75g and their poo covered the tank in a few days...I had to rehome them because I couldn't look at the big black poo's. Next time I will start with babies so I can grow used to the idea and figure out any flow problems with my filter.

If you start with your basic stocking list... but different numbers...
15 Tetras
8 Corys
3-4 Otos
1 male/ 2 female Bolivian Rams

{otos are fine with Bolivian rams} I think Nobody of The Goat thought you meant German blues...
I would then look for 1 show fish. Maybe a gourami? I thought about a similar stocking for my 46g but leaving out the otos and having shrimp or snails "smaller bioload" Then you could have a 1-3 group of gouramis. 1 male / 2 females. Or something else for looks and a centerpiece.

I over filter my tanks, I have the Rena Filstar XP2 on my 46g which is rated for a 75g tank. Overfiltering gives a little freedom on your numbers.

Ok, thanks guys. That makes sense. Here was my intended fish:
10 neon tetra
8 rummynose tetra
6 corydoras
6 oto cats
1 bristlenose pleco
1 or 2 bolivian ram

For a 45 (US gallon?) or 170l I would personally think about leaving out the BN catfish for now at least and instead concentrate on the four schooling species and the Ram, getting at least 8 of each social species.

Given that Rams need ~25C, you may need to do some research about which Oto species will be happy at permanent tropical temps, I think of them of being from slightly cooler waters (but someone did post about Rams being found in the same waters as Otos).

In addition you will need to carefully choose your Corydoras group, because ~25C is not good for some types like Trilineatus or Peppered (that can be found in 16/15C in the wild), the most obvious one that springs to mind as a good match is Sterbai (but there are a few others readily available that do well in the mid to high 20s).

Personally I would choose one type of tetra and have 15+ instead of the 2 species. I am very sure that the behavior with every addition to your numbers will be interesting and more natural.

Bristlenoses are awesome!!! I wouldn't keep them in a 45 gallon unless I was prepared for their bioload and big huge poo. I have had 2 full grown BN's in a 75g and their poo covered the tank in a few days...I had to rehome them because I couldn't look at the big black poo's. Next time I will start with babies so I can grow used to the idea and figure out any flow problems with my filter.

If you start with your basic stocking list... but different numbers...
15 Tetras
8 Corys
3-4 Otos
1 male/ 2 female Bolivian Rams

{otos are fine with Bolivian rams} I think Nobody of The Goat thought you meant German blues...
I would then look for 1 show fish. Maybe a gourami? I thought about a similar stocking for my 46g but leaving out the otos and having shrimp or snails "smaller bioload" Then you could have a 1-3 group of gouramis. 1 male / 2 females. Or something else for looks and a centerpiece.

I over filter my tanks, I have the Rena Filstar XP2 on my 46g which is rated for a 75g tank. Overfiltering gives a little freedom on your numbers.
Thanks, I'm gonna forget the pleco. I also might go with the 15 neons. It's gonna be a tough decision though, I have always wanted a school of rummynose. We'll see what happens. I'v been thinking and is it even worth it to upgrade to a 45 gallon? My stock barely changes. I planned only on getting more tetras and one or two more bolivians as well as the pleco which I decided against now. I feel like $100 isn't worth getting a few more neons and I like the look of a shorter rather than tall tank anyway. I just bought a new stand for the tank and a crested gecko. Gotta save some gas money!!! Is my stock alright for the 30?

Hey, if you want the rummynoses, then go for it. If you are upgrading the filter then run both of your filters, get the fish you want and let your filter tell you what is up. If your filter AND water changes are handling your fish load then you have the freedom to do what you want.

The bristlenose can be fine in a 45g.. I know people who have 2 in a 46 gallon. The most important part is filtering your tank enough. I personally have a hard time looking at BN poo. It's big and lots of it.

If you get the Oto's make sure to supplement their food. I have learned quickly to use my best judgement, not all fish are the same, and don't complain if I make a mistake against all other advice.

A 45g is A LOT bigger then a 30g. Just because I like a bigger group of one fish doesn't mean you can't have 8 of each.

I'm gonna see what are prices i get for a 45, if I can even find one, havn't yet. If it's too high I'm just going to stick with my 30.

Most reactions

Back