150 Gallon African Cichlid Tub

Tolak

Gun Toting Lunatic
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
15,059
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Location
Chicago
In a bit of a jam here, 40 assorted African cichlids coming in, in about an hour, freebie. Good size ones at that, this woman wants to empty her 150 gallon tank, these things have been breeding for a couple of years. I have a 150 gallon Rubbermaid tub setup outside, 2,000 watts of heat running atm, 56F outside. 2kw of heat running wide open, no heat controller yet, I planned on getting this running two weeks from now, summer platy breeding tub.

I'm just trying to run my thinking past the members here, to see if I'm missing something which is quite possible. According to this pond site, 1kw will give 250 gallons a 10F increase; http://www.pondsolutions.com/pond-heaters2.htm

My free heaters; http://www.millerharness.com/product.asp?p...hcd2=1207500627

Temperature controller I need to order pronto, ETCI-1; http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

If my math is correct this should give me a 16F increase in 150 gallons, or a 32F increase running 2kw of heat. Problem is next Saturday it's dropping to 29F, average temperature for the day of 36F.

I have the tub on a sheet of plywood, to reduce temperature transfer from the concrete it is sitting on. I also plan on wrapping the tub with insulation, and slapping together a quick insulated cover.

Having no heat controller for a few days, I'm going to have to watch the temperature, and guesstimate how long to run one of the heaters on a timer to maintain a reasonable temperature without either freezing the fish, or boiling them.

Filtration is not a problem, I have enough gear & cycled media to cover that, temperature control is a bit iffy. Any ideas to make my next few days easier & less stress free while I'm at work will be appreciated.
 
Why don't you bring the pond inside and have it in a spare room?

If you don't have room for it indoors then what about getting a couple of large plastic storage crates for indoors.

I normally use 4inch thick polystyrene foam under the ponds to stop the cold from the concrete. Wrapping the pond in insultaion will definitely help and covers make a huge difference as well.
Can't offer much more than what you have already thought of :)
 
I would have picked up some styrene for beneath, we were outside filling this thing at 11pm last night. I may do this later, drain it down, pick it up & have a third somebody slide the insulation underneath.

I planned on doing this a couple of weekends from now, and was actually writing down the controller numbers yesterday morning to order on Monday. For free fish I'll scramble a bit, and delay the platy project until early May. If we can get the Africans to pay for the controller and such we will do it, plenty of auctions coming up.
 
I would have picked up some styrene for beneath, we were outside filling this thing at 11pm last night. I may do this later, drain it down, pick it up & have a third somebody slide the insulation underneath.

I planned on doing this a couple of weekends from now, and was actually writing down the controller numbers yesterday morning to order on Monday. For free fish I'll scramble a bit, and delay the platy project until early May. If we can get the Africans to pay for the controller and such we will do it, plenty of auctions coming up.

Sorry this is a bit off topic, But will you be selling any of the Cichlids?

Nevermind didnt realise location sorry for inconveinience
 
Hmm Tolak, you seem to be well prepared. Seems like your srambling around the house! WHat kind of Africans did you get? I would check every hour how much the temp raises and log it, so you know when to unplug the heater and plug it back in.
 
Hard to tell what kind they are, the tank they came out of was for all practical purposes a sewer. The tank water they were swimming in looked like what I siphon off of the bottom of my tanks. No wonder they all looked dark brown.

Seeing the conditions they were in we did the plop acclimation procedure, just scooped them out & tossed them in. Within minutes they started to color up, nice blues & yellows, though it's hard to be certain what they are looking from the top. There is a group of cons, at least a few cobalts, looks to be some multis. Don't want to go netting them out for an id yet, I know a local guy who is into the African cichlids, he should be stopping by later in the week.

We did a great job insulating, 8 moving blankets duck taped around the tub. I anticipated a 16F increase with 1kw, 20 or 25F with the insulation. It was 50F outside last night, I plugged the heater in at 9pm, tank was 74F. At 7 am, with the heater running full tilt it was near 90F, ouch. Unplugged & covered all day, by 5 pm it dropped to 75F. I plugged it in for a couple hours this evening, if I plug it back in at 1am, unplug it at 7am I should be closer to 80F. Thankfully my daughter is off work the next couple of days, I can have her plug it in early in the afternoon for a couple of days.

Heat controller is due to arrive Wednesday, if 1kw gives me a 40F increase, 2kw should give me a 80F increase, and would really kill my budget with the electric bill if I decided to run it in the dead of winter.
 
ahh the things we do for fish :)
outrageous power bills, getting up at weird hours to turn the heaters on and off
 

Most reactions

Back
Top