FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ReMz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
20190512_163755-756x1008.jpg
20190512_214308-1008x756.jpg 20190512_221730-756x1008.jpg

Hey guys!

So I just picked up this Fluval Flex 15g on sale with NO IDEA what I want to put in it. I am completely open to suggestions and ideas.

I have already added quick start to get it going and will be doing an instant cycle with mature filter media when I add fish.

Some of you might not want to hear this, but I am ok with a bit of an overstock - been keeping fish a long time, it will be heavily planted, and maintenance will be performed regularly. Dont let the planted part discourage suggestions, I have plants growing in all my tanks and can add whatever is compatible with the fish (i.e. excavators).

My thoughts so far (but I want your unique ideas!):

1) Solo Cichlid - maybe a single African? A Firemouth perhaps? I know the tank is on the small side, still deciding on this one as a viable option. Would have to be a cichlid that stays around or under the 4-5 inch realm. I DO NOT currently have the space for a larger tank, but will in the next year or so. Input welcome here.

2) Sorority betta tank.

3) Dwarf puffers!

4) some sort of oddball that fits this tank size.

Note: I have a planted 16 gallon community tank with a bunch of cardinal tetras, a German blue ram, dwarf gorami, Corys, and some ottos. So I'm not looking for another Ram or that style community.

I am really open to suggestions. The filtration built into this tank is fantastic and I am going to add some extra media. Pretty much has a built in 3 stage canister hidden in the back.

Please, let your imaginations go wild. Price is no issue. Just has to fit (or come close to) the tank size.

Last edited:
I love FLUVAL FLEX’s!! Here is a list some of your options....

5-6 neon tetras
5-6 Harliquen Rasbourus
4-5 shrimp (Amano Shrimp is one of my personal favorites!!

Oooorrrrr.......

4-5 female Betta Fish (I would actually only do 2-3, depending on how aggressive they are! ;))
Nerite snails (2-3)
Amano Shrimp.

Now please tell me if you would like to have a betta in the tank, or not. I am not that experienced in multiple female Betta Fish in one tank, so that is not really up my ally. Odd-ball fish, is. So if you would like to have a least 1 betta in the FLUVAL, just let me know! ;)

Before any of us can suggest suitable fish, we will need to know your water parameters (of the source water). The GH (general or total hardness) is most important to fish, and then the pH.

View attachment 91387
View attachment 91388 View attachment 91389

Hey guys!

So I just picked up this Fluval Flex 15g on sale with NO IDEA what I want to put in it. I am completely open to suggestions and ideas.

I have already added quick start to get it going and will be doing an instant cycle with mature filter media when I add fish.

Some of you might not want to hear this, but I am ok with a bit of an overstock - been keeping fish a long time, it will be heavily planted, and maintenance will be performed regularly. Dont let the planted part discourage suggestions, I have plants growing in all my tanks and can add whatever is compatible with the fish (i.e. excavators).

My thoughts so far (but I want your unique ideas!):

1) Solo Cichlid - maybe a single African? A Firemouth perhaps? I know the tank is on the small side, still deciding on this one as a viable option. Would have to be a cichlid that stays around or under the 4-5 inch realm. I DO NOT currently have the space for a larger tank, but will in the next year or so. Input welcome here.

2) Sorority betta tank.

3) Dwarf puffers!

4) some sort of oddball that fits this tank size.

Note: I have a planted 16 gallon community tank with a bunch of cardinal tetras, a German blue ram, dwarf gorami, Corys, and some ottos. So I'm not looking for another Ram or that style community.

I am really open to suggestions. The filtration built into this tank is fantastic and I am going to add some extra media. Pretty much has a built in 3 stage canister hidden in the back.

Please, let your imaginations go wild. Price is no issue. Just has to fit (or come close to) the tank size.
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

There’s lot of nice knowledgable people here and lots to learn. I hope you enjoy it with us.

If you can provide the GH of tap water this will help members with stocking suggestions. Information can be found by your local water supplier. Once you have this post readings onto the thread.

It’s important to know this as some species prefer softer water with a lower PH. While others prefer slightly harder water and a higher PH.

I personally wouldn’t think that a 15g is adequate space for a Betta sorority. Maybe other members with more experience will be able to assist further.

I’m glad to hear you’ve added safe start, for fish in cycles up to 75% weekly water changes are recommended.

You may want to consider entering your tank in the tank of the month contest the forum holds every month once all set up. Be sure to vote in the current contest running.

You can access this by clicking the banner at the top of the page.

Best of luck! :fish:

Before any of us can suggest suitable fish, we will need to know your water parameters (of the source water). The GH (general or total hardness) is most important to fish, and then the pH.
@Byron , he has already said he is going to use some sort of fast start, so he can cycle the tank right as we speak. I do appreciate the concern for the well being of his fish, but he has already said he is going to pre-cycle the tank. :)

Byron asked about the water parameters which are GH, KH and pH (and temperature but that can easily be altered). Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are not classed as parameters.
We need to know the parameters before suggesting fish, whether the tank is cycled yet or not.

@Byron , he has already said he is going to use some sort of fast start, so he can cycle the tank right as we speak. I do appreciate the concern for the well being of his fish, but he has already said he is going to pre-cycle the tank. :)

As essjay posted, these are very different issues. Parameters of the source (tap) water are permanent unless deliberately adjusted (which is not anywhere as easy as it may sound), and they do impact fish depending upon the species and the parameters. So knowing what is coming out of the tap is important when selecting fish suited to function in good health within those parameters.

The water conditions including ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are very different things, though also important to fish health/life.

And I do realize that @Byron , I was just trying to be helpful. And I do know about the harms of different (bad) chemicals in the water, that is why we need his test results.

He was also just wanting a list of possible fish to stock in the near future. :)

He was also just wanting a list of possible fish to stock in the near future

It doesn't matter whether he want to stock the tank now, in the near future or next year, we need the GH. We cannot suggest possible fish without knowing how hard the water is.

He can suggest it all he wants. But he CAN NOT get fish until he knows his water parameters. :)

Exactly.

But he can draw up a short list ready for when the tank is cycled. To do this he needs to know the GH of his water.

Yes, I am pretty shure that’ he was talking about stocking the list of fish ONLY when his parameters where in check. :)

Thanks everyone! I'll have to get back to ya on some of the parameters. If I'm being completely honest, I've never worried too much about the water here, as the LFS (a knowledgeable local one) told me when I moved here 2 years ago that the tap water in our municipality is really good. Other than a blue ram, I have only kept fish here that are pretty tolerant of just about any water parameters. Have 3 betta tanks - and we all know they can adapt to just about anything. I'm stopping by there tomorrow to get a couple assasin snails, I'm sure they know the PH and GH of the tap.

I'm an old head around here from several years ago. Even have a FOTM title under my belt from my sailfin pleco ;).

So no worries as far as ability to keep anything or knowing about cycling, etc. I've kept all sorts of cichlids, ghosts knives, community tanks, you name it. Just now getting back into aquariums after moving a couple years ago. Making some adjustments to water parameters isnt out of the question.

Really just want something a little different with the main constraint of this being only 15 gallons. I am considering a betta sorority. Never actually kept one, but have given people lots if advice about them on this forum lol. Butttttt.... with 3 other Male betta tanks in the house I'm thinking something different.

But again, as said, I'll get those parameters. All things considered, if parameters had no impact on stocking, what is something you guys would do cool with a measly 15g?

Edit: also note that I have established filter media. So tank is good to go as soon as I plop it in the filter housing in the back.

Last edited:
I love FLUVAL FLEX’s!! Here is a list some of your options....

5-6 neon tetras
5-6 Harliquen Rasbourus
4-5 shrimp (Amano Shrimp is one of my personal favorites!!

Oooorrrrr.......

4-5 female Betta Fish (I would actually only do 2-3, depending on how aggressive they are! ;))
Nerite snails (2-3)
Amano Shrimp.

Now please tell me if you would like to have a betta in the tank, or not. I am not that experienced in multiple female Betta Fish in one tank, so that is not really up my ally. Odd-ball fish, is. So if you would like to have a least 1 betta in the FLUVAL, just let me know! ;)
Thanks!

I already have my cardinal tank with Cory's. Well... there are a couple neons mixed in there too because I bought out all the cardinals my LFS had at the time. I decided I wanted a ton of em, so put a 75g canister filter in addition to the HOB. If I recall the gph, I have something stupid like 8x turnover with a ton of plants lol! Anyways, long way of me saying I'm bored with the typical tropical community. Maybe not so much bored, but wanting something new.

I might.... might... do a betta sorority. I can heavily plant the tank, so 5 females would work swimmingly.

I am accumulating plants and decor. Have some rocks and new wood boiling right now. The tank is begging for fish! Haha.

Attachments

• 20190513_185301-1008x756.jpg
    20190513_185301-1008x756.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 670
Dwarf puffers? 5 of em?
Hmmmm.....

I best get the stats on my tap water. Wood, plants, and shells will in the tank will change this though. :/

Most reactions

trending

Back