120L Juwel Lido - 'eternal Cycle'

Thanks for the warning about bloodworms, Charlie.  I have fed them bloodworms once or twice (mainly for the harlequin's benefit) but I won't try it again.

I also feed them mainly Hikari micro pellets along with occasional finely crushed flake, peas, shredded blanched lettuce, live or frozen daphnia and live or powdered brine shrimp.  I want to increase the amount of live food they get.  The adult brine shrimp are often too big but I've never seen baby brine shrimp for sale - do they come in separate bags?  Also I'll look out for cyclops, I haven't tried that yet.

Well, the bloodworms just from my own experience, have heard others have fed their thread fins bloodworms without any problems, but for me i just don't trust it for small mouthed / small throated fish! :/

BBS I  usually get in frozen form, not many lfs do sell them but they ARE out there, maybe better luck online.
Never seen live BBS though.

Cheers, I've only started on frozen food recently so that's probably why I've never seen them.  I've seen frozen 'Artemia' which I think is another word for brine shrimp.  I'll have a search for bbs next time!  I'm hoping to go collect some more spotted blue-eyes within the next week or two so I'll add it to my shopping list :)

I had a go at making my first video, my camera isn't great at it, but my threadfins were putting on a nice display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165HVUfob0g

I am totally in awe of my amazing alpha threadfin male.  Here's another picture of him and a video of him getting lucky with one of the lasses (with strategically positioned java fern for privacy)
wink.png

031_zps82f329e3.jpg

http://youtu.be/mKQZMnIwp4w

Congratulations Daize, that is an awesome tank. Really wonderful. Lovely thread fins, superb x

Thanks LilyRose!  This tank is giving me a lot of joy at the moment.

I got hold of some salvinia natans from my LFS - a massive bunch of it for £2! - so I'm hoping that it might provide some surface cover for any fry that manage to survive.  Who knows :)  Although salvinia might not do well in my tank because it is lidded but I thought I'd give it a try.

Silvinia natans, i am a fan of these plants, real nice floating plants, had them in my lidded tank, diid very well.

Easy as anything to look after, just scoop out the brown or dying bits

Do bear in mind the floating plants may reduce the amount of light going into tank.

Cheers Charlie!  Good to know they might stand a chance

Thanks Kieran!  I'm getting pretty happy with it now :)

EI dosing minus the nitrates, that's because I used to have really high nitrates in my tap water, but the tap levels have dropped since then and I really ought to start dosing nitrate ferts!  Also diffused CO2 via yeast method.

Most reactions

Back