11g Lighting

Qays

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Luton, Britain
Hey, I am looking for good lighting for a 11 gallon tank, I it will be non planted accept for a Java Fern.

I will never add CO2 or fert.

The problem is, i need a light which is suitable for a non planted.
Also, it has too be 12" as no other side will fit.

The options are:

Aqua-Glo - 18000k
Sun-Glo - 4200k ?
(and all the other hagen glo lighting)
Gro-lux 5000k

If you can suggest some other companies or pick a suitable one from the list, i will really appriciate it.

Aqua Glo Im leaning towards Aqua-Glo as it looks really good in the lfs, it peaks in the blues and reds.
Sun-glo The sun glo also looks good. Anyone have experience with this light?
 
If it's non planted/co2/ferts, it really doesn't matter. Whatever you can get that will fit.
 
Yeah, but i want a nice looking light, also - will 8watts look dull in the 11 gallon tank?
 
Well everyone has a different opinion on what "nice" is - it's impossible to say "this is nice" because you might think it's not. Some shops can plug it in or show you the different lights and their effect in their tanks. Just ask them.

It's almost irrelevant if 8W will look dull in a tank, if all you can have is that. If you decide it's dull, you can get another starter unit and another 8W and just attach it to the lid - ask your lfs how or look in the DIY section for threads on hood modifications.

Adding reflectors help as well.
 
Ok thanks, Do you think 8watts will be dull? My lfs has a aqua glo set up and it looks fine,
 
Try it out :) My lfs lets me change lights if I come home and decide I don't like it after all. Obviously don't leave it in for more than a few minute until you make your decision - they won't take back a "used" light.

Ps: I'll add that my one tank as just over 1WPG (watt per gallon) - your proposed 8W will be just under that. My tank looks great in my opinion.
But that said it's a 47.5 gallon tank, so I can have 2 different tubes to bring out a different effect. Even though it's still a low light tank.
 
Thanks Bloo

If i wanted too install another sight too go with it, would i need another transformer (the box thing you buy separately)
 
Yes you would :) and make sure you buy one for exactly the right wattage. I bougt a few very cheaply on eBay :) but they're around £15 in most lfs.

Even if you double your lighting, you'd still only have 1.6 WPG which is more or less medium light levels (from plants perspective).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top