10g Stocking

I meant I thought they ate only algae and could live off it.

and i have had my clams for a very long time and i have even been succesful in gettinga few small ones too. mine are in a 10g with an air stone to keep water moving. i feed mine baby brine shrimp also. mine have been fine,, you should be asble to have a clam without any problems. but you can go with what they say i guess.
I've never seen anyone have any success with clams apart from in ponds. A few of the lfs around me seem to think they are having success with them by keeping them in the filter for all the stores tanks, but in reality they are not.
They don't all need moving water either, but it's better for ones that come from rivers, its not a necessity. How long is a 'very long time'? Because i wouldn't call anything under 100+ years a 'very long time' for clams. You may want to read nmonks posts too, because BBS is not the correct way to feed clams and it would be kind of expensive and time consuming too. Another thing is that we're not being specific about the species of clam here.
i believe MTS MAY eat poo but i'm not for sure i know they eat things under the gravel but i've never really whatched to see what exactly they eat.
MTS do not eat poo. Nothing will 'eat' poo in your aquarium apart from bacteria and plants.
I have CO2, so if I add an airstone it will reduce the CO2 levels. I could experiment a bit but don't want to hurt anything. For now, I'll leave the clam out, but maybe later I"ll get one.
If you have an airstone, adding Co2 will make no difference, so don't bother with the airstone at all.
Does anybody know if RO water has a neutral PH or not?
Yes, it does. But you are going to need to add calcium supplements :good: .
plecs don't eat algae...? since when!?
Some types of plecs eat algae, others don't. Even the ones that do don't live just off algae on it's own. What he means is that he thought the plecs could just live off the algae in the tank, as most pet stores tell you.

Okay, thanks for all the help, so does this sound good?
3 Amano Shrimp
4 Ghost Shrimp
1 Apple Snail
6 Panda Cories
3 ADFs

Okay, thanks for all the help, so does this sound good?
3 Amano Shrimp
4 Ghost Shrimp
1 Apple Snail
6 Panda Cories
3 ADFs
im not sure but i have read somewhere before that ghost shrimp are aggressive towards other shrimps and often kill eachother.but ive not had any problems with them so i doubt you will.because you like the apple snails so much, im guessing your going to get one, IMO they are over messy, produce a lot of waste, carry parasites and leave slime trails on the waters surface.but ofcorse, beauty if in the eye of the beholder.if you like them, get them.not too sure about 6 pandas in a 10 gallon, is their enought floor space? i would either go with pygmy corys or less panda carys, maybe a group of 3.ADF'S are not messy themselves, but their food tends to be worse, i feed my bloodworms, they do great, i use to every 2 days i remove them from the main tank to a holding tub,only about a cup full, and use tweezers to wiggle bolldworms infront of them,but then i build a small island for them(http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=177460) and its much easier now.all in all, with a good heater and filter, your tank would look great.cant wait to see pictures. :p
P.S when i once tried clams, they died with in a week, and i followed a book i bought about feeding.care etc. IMO they arent very hardy creatures nor easy to look after, waste of meney if you ask me

Pics won't come for a while, gotta save up foran RO system first. :angry:

You don't need an RO filter to keep freshwater inverts.

All you need is some crushed coral in the filter to fix the PH.

I have well water, so there's a ton of copper in my tap water. Plus, I'm gonna be getting a SW tank soon, so it's not just for this.

something else for you to worry about:

Amano Shrimps can kill Ghost Shrimps
ADFs could easily eat Ghost Shrimps

Yes, amanos will probably be OK, but it's a risk. When i had them, they wouldn't even eat live food, and i kept them in a tank full of 5mm triops. Most people report them to be peaceful.
However, Tsi_User seems to be one of the small percentage of people with killer amano shrimp.
I woulden't risk anything very small with amanos anymore, but fully grown ghost shrimp would be safe.

So it would be best to ge the creatures in this order?
Ghost shrimp
Apple Snail
Panda Cories
Amano Shrimp
ADFs

Also, do the inverts eat spot algae, off of my glass?
Oh, and aren't ghost shrimp fast enough to escape ADF's? I've heard the frogs have poor eyesight.

Apple snails will eat algae off the glass. Amanos are peaceful, maybe the people with "violent" amanos actually have another shrimp? I've heard they eat certain types of mosses though.

The amano shrimp will eat basically any algae, but wont be very effective at cleaning the stuff the glass that they cant reach from the ground. I would have thought the ADF's to be perfectly ok with the ghost shrimp, i've seen them in tanks with amano shrimp half their size and hey never bothered to try and eat them.
However i've never owned ghost shrimp or ADF's.

Edir: After reading over this post , seems i replaced the word 'ADF's' with 'ghost shrimp' for some strange reason, fixed now though.

Okay, well, I guess I know what I'm going to get then. I already have the tank set up, with plants in it, and 3 platies(the ones form my 29g) to help control algae until I get otos. There's still so much they can't get to though, especially on the glass. I am going to replace them with about 5 otos soon, and then replace some of the plants with more Dwarf Hairgrass. Then, once I get the RO water, I'll change all of the water with the RO water (replenished for plants) and put the otos in my 29g. Then, finally, I can add my desired stocking.

Most reactions

Back