April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wells

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Evening all.

Had a friend getting rid of an old tank, it was full of bright multi coloured gravel and a single barrel ornament, all that cleared out and tank cleared up.

Replaced the old fluorescent with a new led, fitted a new sponge filter with some established media and chucked in some fine gravel.

It's for my nephew who's spec was "I want a cave for them to live in and some plants so it looks nice for them." I reckon I nailed the client's spec, I'd probably have done the rocks in a different formation of it wasn't for the cave request but I like the end result.

20201030_190725.jpg

Couple of Java ferns, an anubias nano, anubias bonsai and a Trident Java fern with dragonrock.

It's currently still cycling but the stocking ideas I'm thinking will be guppies as they have hard water where they are.

Any other suggestions?
Could it have a mix of corydoras and guppies?
Any other hard water fish in a 10g?

How many guppies would be suitable? (50x30x30cm are dimensions)

Man, your tanks always look awesome!!

We would need to know the hardness of your water, before suggesting stock. (pH, GH, and KH) :)

Man, your tanks always look awesome!!

We would need to know the hardness of your water, before suggesting stock. (pH, GH, and KH) :)

Thanks, that means a lot.

Haha how after bring here this long now have I still forgot to provide actual figures!

Water report says:
222 ppm for hardness.

PH from the report I can only see as a range? HYDROGEN ION (PH) 6.5 - 9.5

Can't see KH on the report.

Too hard for any of the corydoras that can go in a 10g unfortunately.

Could do some ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp, or maaayyyybe a single Mexican dwarf crayfish (should leave upperlevel fish alone and is relatively peaceful, but dont add it with shrimp)

Too hard for any of the corydoras that can go in a 10g unfortunately.

Could do some ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp, or maaayyyybe a single Mexican dwarf crayfish (should leave upperlevel fish alone and is relatively peaceful, but dont add it with shrimp)

Thanks, I did think I may be limited with Cories, they was my last chance of having a fish that might actually use the cave lol.

I've got a load of cherry shrimp, so can just give some to him after it's more established.

The dwarf cray option would use the cave :)

Theres also bumblebee gobies, but they may be tricky as they can be fussy eaters and don't do so well with community set ups.

Ive got a Mexican dwarf crayfish and honestly she's one of the coolest aquatic creatures I've ever met.
I attached some photos of her, she's adorable lol I keep her by herself though, but because I have cories in every other tank, she wouldn't work with them, but as the only bottom dweller, one would be a really fun addition, especially for kids and theyre plant friendly.
20201026_124950.jpg
20201025_204444.jpg
20201019_184417.jpg
20201012_125137.jpg

They look awesome, will suggest it and hopefully he'll like it.

Turns out Mexican dwarf crayfish are illegal in the UK, a threat to native whiteclaws.

That sucks. Would have been a good option otherwise

Most reactions

Back