100 Gallon Rebuild Rim Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

qball922

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the DIY section but i feel like no ones gunna see it :X I'll keep it short this time. Bought a 100 gallon tank on craigslist. Its a 19"x19"x6' tank thats 13mm glass. I completely removed the rim to clean hardwater buildup under it, and when i pried it off it broke off into the four sections that make it up. They didnt seem to do much structurally with weak glue like that and i wanna know if i can leave it rimless. I know its not recommended, but this thing looks bulletproof. 13mm glass over only 72" length. Ive heard of rimless tanks 120" long using 15mm glass. Im not a tank builder however so im at a loss, and dont want this to end bad. Tank was leak tested before this overhaul and waz fine.

DevotedToDiscus said:
Is the tank braced across the top? What was the rim made of?
No cross bracing whatsoever, and what i assume to be abs plastic. It was four pieces angle cut and glued together.

Assuming it was glued at the corners, it can't have been there to brace the tank. So was just there for ascetics. So I wouldn't be at all concerned that you have removed it. 

DevotedToDiscus said:
Assuming it was glued at the corners, it can't have been there to brace the tank. So was just there for ascetics. So I wouldn't be at all concerned that you have removed it.
Yeah the ends were 45 degree cuts glued at the corner. I didnt think it would do much structurally with weak joints like that. I figured one piece would have to be used all around in order to do anything significant. My father (structural engineer) agreed, but he wanted me to get more opinions from people who actually know tanks. Especially considering its his hardwood floor ill be ruining if i screw up :D thanks a lot for the input, still gunna leak test that sucker before she's permanently moved to my family room.

qball922 said:

Yeah the ends were 45 degree cuts glued at the corner. I didnt think it would do much structurally with weak joints like that. I figured one piece would have to be used all around in order to do anything significant. My father (structural engineer) agreed, but he wanted me to get more opinions from people who actually know tanks. Especially considering its his hardwood floor ill be ruining if i screw up
biggrin.png
thanks a lot for the input, still gunna leak test that sucker before she's permanently moved to my family room.

A wise idea indeed! That would make a big puddle on the floor if it leaked!

Anyone else have input?! Like i said im trying to get a bunch of opinions and get a general consensus. Any reply is appreciated greatly, even if youre not an experienced tank builder /repair-er (lol). Hit me with it ppl! Thanks in advance.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back