100 Gal Help

PeachHardy

Reaction score
hey guys well I am thinking of getting another tank. 70-120 gallon. I was reading up about wet dry filters, but don't you have to drill the tank for that? my questions is what other filters do i have opinions for and what other way can i a accomplish my nitrogen cycle with out live rock/sand method I no wet dry but i don't know if i understand how that works. Also everyone that owns bigger tanks what are some other thing do you think i should know about having a bigger tank?

thanks,

Peach

Bigger tanks are run best with sumps and big skimmers. If you dont want to drill yourself, you could always ask your LFS if they could drill for you, many will do so at a small fee. If drilling isnt an option, then an overflow box will. Also if you're getting a new tank, you can always get a "reef ready" tank which is pre-drilled and setup for overflow. You'll want a bigger hheater or prefferrably something like double 250watt heaters. You'll also want a big in-sump skimmer if you wish to stock heavily and bigger powerheads inside it. Other than that, the nice thing is that the chemistry will stay very stable in a big tank thus giving a beginner lots of room for error :)

Also other filtration options:

fluidized sand bed filter - basically water pushed through a sand bed, the sand acts as biological filter media where bacteria can grow. pros: filters vast amounts of waste very well and fast. cons: if the power fails the entire filter dies due to no oxygen to keep the bacteria alive. Mainly used on large predator FOWLR tanks with power backup.

canister filter - IMO not an option for a large tank as only the largest models can keep up and their cost is better spent elsewhere.

refugium/macro algea filtration - a dedicated area in a sump setup where nutrient export is done with live plants that consume waste byproducts and other harmful nutrients.

remote deep sand bed - good way to add nitrate filtration in a seperate area that is easier to clean and maintain than within the tank itself.

Personally after starting with wet/dry filtration I wouldn't go that route ever again. I would use a sump and then customize it with filtration methods mentioned above for the livestock I planned to keep. Also you don't need to drill a tank to have a wet/dry or sump but it seems to be preferred. It has been my experience that HOB overflows are actually less of a problem than drilling, but I have to say that if I had not been a clutz or thought through what I was doing better the tanks I have had break would still be running.

thanks for all the help guys. I just want to do it right and plan everything going too be doing before i start my tank. My friend offered me a new 155 reef ready bow front tank no stand just the tank for $200.00. :hey: so i might take that. any thoughts on the set up?? thanks again

thanks for all the help guys. I just want to do it right and plan everything going too be doing before i start my tank. My friend offered me a new 155 reef ready bow front tank no stand just the tank for $200.00. :hey: so i might take that. any thoughts on the set up?? thanks again

Yeah, you should set it up in my upstairs :hyper:

I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat. How long is it? 5' or 6'? Are you crafty enough to build a stand yourself, or will you need to try and buy one for a tank like that?

Most reactions

Back