The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ReMz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Haha
laugh.png
! Had to stick with my previous naming convention.

So the background on this one:

New LFS opened and had a killer deal on a new 10g with glass lid, filter, and large can of tetra flakes. Saw it.... thought about my 5g that Tails (my betta was in)... no brainer. Brought it home. Also came home with a few pounds of Florite Black substrate and Florite black sand. Picked up a Marinland LED light bar on sale while I was at it (no lumens listed on this one). Right now this is a low-light low-tech tank.... but I'm sure this will be temporary. 2 Whisper HOB filters.

When it comes to plants, I know enough only to be dangerous and spend money
laugh.png
. So here we go!

So this guy was chilling in his 5g with fake plants
no.gif

2e8u.jpg

And then came the new tank build!
btr6.jpg

side by side comparo:
25nk.jpg

j2dn.jpg

wondering what just happened to his world:
itqm.jpg

Threw some random decor in to make the betta confortable last night:
6ngo.jpg

Annnnddd random buying spree today at the LFS. some vals... some crypts... micros sword, dwarf sword.... just to fill up some space and start getting an idea of where I want the tank to go:
lq1e.jpg

rlun.jpg

nl56.jpg

9avu.jpg

This is where it stands now while the sand settles. Dove in head first on this one! No better way to make a tank journal!

Looking for planting suggesstions and stocking suggestions. I'm thinking of breaking my cardinal rule and getting some cardinal tetras to go with the betta (get it
tongue2.gif
) . Unsure of this. I'm blacking out the back, and this is just calling for some zooooomy color. Thoughts? changes? critiques?

I'm looking for some ideas for a low light carpeting plant... other than a moss... any ideas?

Is your tank hanging over the edges of the table? If so I'd look at sorted that as it can end a tank quickly :p

techen said:
Is your tank hanging over the edges of the table? If so I'd look at sorted that as it can end a tank quickly
tongue2.gif
Ever so slightly on either side.

I leveled the tank and centered. So not too worried there. If things were not 100% level I would have a lot more concern.

edit: anything over a 10g I would not allow the overhang ;)

I'm not sure what to add but wanted to say it's looking great so far :D Tails is handsome!

The glass will slide apart over time. But if you believe it's fine then cool. I'd never risk it. Good looking tank though!

techen said:
The glass will slide apart over time. But if you believe it's fine then cool. I'd never risk it. Good looking tank though!
Til I get another stand. I will live dangerously :lol:

This has proven to be a betta playground... Tails is acting like a goof in this tank. He is sliding sideways in the current on the sand.... being a ninja in the micro sword.... staring contest with the moss ball...... and i thought he was just stuck on a leaf but he was wrapped around a crypt flaring at it.

All that aside, input is always appreciated.

Sand has settled... here we  are:
rzwk.jpg

And I know you all hate pictures..... so these are to torment you!
tongue2.gif

hp2z.jpg

p40g.jpg

kpd9.jpg

q1pj.jpg

o2oy.jpg

atbx.jpg

yecq.jpg

v58i.jpg

z6l2.jpg

He really stands out in this tank! Sounds like a bundle of personality :D

Ok... this is a tank build. And I am still looking for advice.... but commmmmmoooonnnnnnn. He used to run from the camera. still does... this is his pose apparently.

ekpr.jpg

qkai.jpg

rjkf.jpg

efp1.jpg

h58v.jpg

*annoying* (to get pictures)

tongue2.gif

lol... yes ninj...... .... i think you nailed it.

Good call! hahahahahah

if you want a plant to fill up allot of space vallis can be really good but it will need to be removed occcasionally as it will spread any type that will be good as when they reach the surface they start laying accros it (easy to get around just cut them off at a little lower then the waters surface) other good plants for space filling elodea densa or cambomba plants. for a carpeting plant java moss is difficult to beat but first what is your exact lighting.putting fish in with a betta is very difficult i think neons will be one of the most they do occasionaly attack other fish with long fins or betta like coloring e.g reds blues but it can be done i would say to use another tetra like silvertip glowlight or rummynose (probably the best due to their size).

noobgamers said:
if you want a plant to fill up allot of space vallis can be really good but it will need to be removed occcasionally as it will spread any type that will be good as when they reach the surface they start laying accros it (easy to get around just cut them off at a little lower then the waters surface) other good plants for space filling elodea densa or cambomba plants. for a carpeting plant java moss is difficult to beat but first what is your exact lighting.putting fish in with a betta is very difficult i think neons will be one of the most they do occasionaly attack other fish with long fins or betta like coloring e.g reds blues but it can be done i would say to use another tetra like silvertip glowlight or rummynose (probably the best due to their size).
Spot on info!

This is not my first rodeo with fish or plants. I have a lot of vals (thanks to recent purchase). Also have more java moss and java fern than I know what to do with. All of my tanks are planted.

I've heard combomba over and over again. never tried keeping it. glad you mentioned.... i will check it out yet again.

My lighting is something I am trying to figure out...... NO parameters given on this light. If i had to guess based on size and a same marineland brand, I would say 200ish lumens LED. low. I will be upgrading this - just wanted some input first.

I have always always always told people no neons period with a betta. i've found glowlights to be mean fin nippers. and rummynose not my style.

I think some cardinals are in store... unless I hear better advice.

Andddd.

Clear tank shot

npur.jpg

Looking great! (As all of your tanks do!)

Tails looks super happy with the extra space!

TBH I wouldn't put cardinals in a 10G, personally, I wouldn't put them in anything less than a 20G. 
Have you thought of pygmy corys or mosquito rasboras? I've heard of people having success with both.

Remz! You know you want the otos!
tongue2.gif

Great tank. I agree with BLF about the cardinals.

Hes so cute!
wub.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back