10 gallon tank heaters for Betta. Suggestions?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Artemus

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have an aqueon 10 gallon starter kit with a preset heater. It is supposed to keep the tank at 78 but it is barely keeping the tank at 75. I have two stick on thermometers. I read that Bettas are better off with a temp around 80. I keep looking at heaters online and cannot seem to find one that has stellar reviews.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am really getting attached to this cute little guy, he has loads of personality. I am afraid that buying a heater that turns faulty is going to be really dangerous for him, but I don't want him to be too cold with the current one.

75F is warm enough for the bettas. Be careful with the stick on thermometers though as they are not always accurate.
Have you looked at Eheim heaters? I'd get a 50W or 100W for a 10 gallon.

75F is warm enough for the bettas. Be careful with the stick on thermometers though as they are not always accurate.
Have you looked at Eheim heaters? I'd get a 50W or 100W for a 10 gallon.
I'd go with 50 watts for a 10 gallon. When heaters malfunction, it's often in the direction of not turning off. Even a 50 watt could fry a fish in a 10 gallon--if the room temperature isn't frigid. A 100 watt could do it quickly.

I'd go with 50 watts for a 10 gallon. When heaters malfunction, it's often in the direction of not turning off. Even a 50 watt could fry a fish in a 10 gallon--if the room temperature isn't frigid. A 100 watt could do it quickly.
@speakerman3 is exactly right . Always go with a lower wattage heater for the insurance of not boiling your fish . I’m running a 50 watt in one of my 20 highs and it’s working great . When it does come on it stays on for a while and that is better than a higher wattage one that goes on and off constantly and wears out the thermostat .

I really like the Fluval T series... Formerly called Tronic iirc... I have a 50 watt Gold that is like 30 years old...

But Anything that is fully Electronic that has an overheat cut-off.

Unlike Bi-metal they would never boil your fishes in case of failure.

A T50 sounds like a piece of kit you would appreciate. They are 60$ US on Amazon and have 5 years warranty on them.

I use a 50 watt in my 20 gallon cube and it has no problem keeping the water 79-80 F. In a 10 gallon I would think that a 25 watt would do just fine. Personally I'd never even consider using a preset heater that I can't control.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, they are all extremely helpful. I cannot believe how attached I am getting to this little fish, he is like my baby.

It depends on the room temperature, if it’s warm you only need a low wattage heater, if it’s cold a larger one is required. A low wattage in a cold room and is struggling to keep up won’t do much good.
Get an electronic that has overheat cut off, there's a much better chance of not overheating.

I use a Fluval M50 in a 10, works great. I keep my temp. at 65 degrees.
1700752259639.jpeg

I use a 50 watt in my 20 gallon cube and it has no problem keeping the water 79-80 F. In a 10 gallon I would think that a 25 watt would do just fine. Personally I'd never even consider using a preset heater that I can't control.
I only use a 25 in 5 gallon or smaller. North Texas does get cold. In the spring I unplug all the heaters and remove them. It also gets hot

I have a 110 in my 35 gallon hex and that is adequate for some reason, probably because albino bristlenose and guppies aren't the most tropical fish. maybe because it is not a wide tank

Most reactions

Back