10 Gallon Stocking Ideas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

addey411

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Any ideas for 10 gallon stocking ideas? My friend wants some "pretty" looking fish, but no guppies (she has a phobia). And she'd prefer a large one that can live in a ten gal, but I've never heard of a large fish that can live in that size of a tank. Any advice?

A Betta is about as large as you want for a 10gal.
Pretty fish, loads of personality.

Yea thers not much you can do with a ten gallon im afraid, all i have in mine is a marble crayfish and 2 nerite snails. Betta and 6 pygmy cories in a pretty heavily planed tank would work.

what i would do with a 10 gallon fish tank is 3 cory catfish 5 neon tetras some shrimp and a snail i think that would be a cool tank
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

good luck :)

In a tank that small, the Cory cats would just stress the betta.

Check out the pin in the fresh and planted nano section. There are great ideas there.

For instance, you could get some species of killifish, a shrimp tank, snail tank, betta tank, some gourami, dwarf puffers (very tiny, big personality), I think a few tetras are on the list.

Of course your friend will need to cycle the tank and be prepared to be liberal with water changes as small tanks experience issues much more heavily compared to a larger tank which can better handle diseases, changes in water conditions, and other calamities.

I currently have a 10 gallon with a powder blue dwarf gourami, 6 neon tetra, 4 male fancy guppies, and 4 ghost shrimp. My tank is moderately planted, and my chemical levels have never spiked, my nitrate levels don't even get very high. 

On here they tend to stick to the 1" per gallon rule, but that's based on surface area. Many other fish keepers that I've read articles by use volume rather than surface area in this consideration and say you can do 2" per gallon. I've had good success with the second rule, but I chose fish that school, don't dart around too fast, and occupy different levels.

I know not everyone agrees, but you can have a 10 gallon with more than a beta and some snails. This pin from this forum might help you http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/116208-recommendations-for-a-10-gallon/ 

HERE is that nano list I think attibones was referring to.

I'm not trying to be rude at all but what is the phobia called?  I tried googling guppy phobia, didn't get anything :/

I'd recommend having your friend sign up here, and as has been said, do a fishless cycle which he/she can read about HERE.

Lol, I don't literally mean phobia. Sorry I didn't clarify, but she just gets freaked out by them. Don't know why....

Haha, I'm also freaked out by Guppies. :\ Figures..

a betta or a pair of dwarf gurami i love dwarf gurami and like 3 cory catfish they grow to be 3-4in

thelaw said:
... 3 cory catfish they grow to be 3-4in
Not all corydoras grow that big. They all need to be kept in groups of at least six, of the same species, though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back