10,000 Or 16,000K

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Xraymark

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the 120w mazarra maxspect razor lights(LED) and they come in the above kelvin range. 10,000 or 16,000k. Just released in the UK. Cost is the same for both.

Now my limited understanding is the higher K will give more of a blue look to the lightening, not necessarily better growth in corals. I will only have softies and maybe LPS in my tank so unsure which lights would be best. Tank depth 58cm.

Cheers.

Looking at the 120w mazarra maxspect razor lights(LED) and they come in the above kelvin range. 10,000 or 16,000k. Just released in the UK. Cost is the same for both.

Now my limited understanding is the higher K will give more of a blue look to the lightening, not necessarily better growth in corals. I will only have softies and maybe LPS in my tank so unsure which lights would be best. Tank depth 58cm.

Cheers.

Tough call, I'll post some pictures and see what you like.

These are 10k LEDs over corals. These are from the nps tank.

DSC06682.jpg

DSC06531.jpg

7b446ff6.jpg

bafc68e9.jpg

As you can see, the colors aren't bad, especially if you stick with mushrooms. It creates a more "natural appearance" and is, IMO, much better for coral growth. The problem is that you can't change these once you get them. I have MH, so I usually start with a 10k, grow the corals, then upgrade to 14k, then 20k after most of the growth has occurred. You don't really have that option with LEDS much, unless you have the programmable ones like I do.

I guess if you stick with colorful mushrooms and corals, you'll do ok. Here are zoas under that same light.

f4eb0170-3.jpg

4084c8f2.jpg

Not as bright, but, IMO, not horrid, especially if you pick zoas with good color contrasts.

Up to you. Many people love the blue, but there can be wonderful color pop with well-selected corals in 10k as well.

L

I think these LEDs are programmable. So sunrise to a moonlight effect can be entered.

That appeals. LOL.

Yes, the 16k is much more blue than the 10k---the corals will do better with the 10k. However, from all the LEDs I've seen, they appear to have a beautiful mix. :)

its more of the preference issue as the colour temperature will not determine whether the coral will live or not. more hobbyists me being one of them like the blueish hue you get with the higher kelvin rated lights. It makes the corals colours pop and makes your reef talk look amazing. I currently have a mix of 10000k and a really strong 20000k LEDs.
Also something you might want to consider would be the growth of nuisance algae, while 10000k light promotes more growth it will also promote the growth of nuisance algae. On the other hand coral continue to grow under 20000k light but the growth of nuisance algae will be inhibited.

CHEERS
:)

The higher Kelvin bulbs are used to mimic the light levels at lower depths therefore it will depend on what type of corals you are wanting to keep. Those that grow in shallow water will prefer 10000k whereas those growing at depth will prefer closer to 20000k. If aesthetics are a consideration then the addition of actinics to a 10000k main light will make the colours of shallow corals 'pop' more whilst still providing the correct light levels.

It was a while back when I started this thread.

Made a decision on my lighting. Kessil a350 led. It's a 90w light equivalent to a 250w halide. It has two knobs, one controls 10k and the other 20k so can tune in the light to my preference.

Yeah they look good. Can't wait.

Will stick a few pics up. Only downside is their not programmable but I think I can live with out.

Can you make a programmer for them, or are they too integrated?

I've read that it could be potentially achievable for those technically minded. I'm not.

For the most part I'm not there anyway to see a sunrise setting and at night time I can change it to all blue by hand if I so wish. I went for the appearance of the light over programmability but I will only know if I made the right call once I have the light.

Its only just come to the UK and I will be one of the first to get.:hyper:

See if you can find the spectral graph for the lights, this should make your decision easier.

Most reactions

trending

Back