1,2, and 3 but what if 3,2,1

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Freshwater Sucker Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a new filter and realized I may have been making a mistake. On the instructions it says
from bottom to top of the filter

1. insert foam filter
2. insert carbon
3. insert bio max

What if I did it the other way around does it make any difference? If so why?

Are you using a HOB filter like an AquaClear? They have a similar setup to what you describe. In that type of filter, the order is so that as the water flows through the filter, the foam sponge catches the bulk of the larger debris such as waste and plant material; then the carbon can assist with filtering the now slightly cleaner water (without the debris), and then the bio max balls sit at the top so that they stay as clean as possible (AFTER the 2 previous stages of filtering). The purpose of the bio max balls is to provide space for the beneficial bacteria to grow. This bacteria is needed for the tank to be "cycled". So, if you put the bio max in first, it would get all gunked up with leaves and fish poop, etc. and not have room for the bacteria. It goes in order of: mechanical filtration - sponge or other material (getting the gunk out), chemical filtration - carbon (note that carbon does NOT remove ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites), and then biological filtration.

Carbon isn't strictly necessary and if you are trying to get a "natural" look with tannins, etc. then you probably don't want to use it at all. It will take out the color. I have both read this and observed it in my tanks. If I use carbon, the water is more clear and less yellow. I actually prefer the more yellow look for certain fish, as their colors look better in the more "natural" water that has a bit of yellow tint from the plants. However, if you want crystal clear water, do use the carbon but be sure to replace it as instructed. It doesn't stay active very long and you will notice your tank getting a slightly yellow cast. Also, carbon is good to remove medications from the water, which is why medications always have as the first instruction to remove the carbon before dosing. (That said, medicine should be a last resort because if the environment is clean, fish are remarkable at healing themselves.)

Are you using a HOB filter like an AquaClear? They have a similar setup to what you describe. In that type of filter, the order is so that as the water flows through the filter, the foam sponge catches the bulk of the larger debris such as waste and plant material; then the carbon can assist with filtering the now slightly cleaner water (without the debris), and then the bio max balls sit at the top so that they stay as clean as possible (AFTER the 2 previous stages of filtering). The purpose of the bio max balls is to provide space for the beneficial bacteria to grow. This bacteria is needed for the tank to be "cycled". So, if you put the bio max in first, it would get all gunked up with leaves and fish poop, etc. and not have room for the bacteria. It goes in order of: mechanical filtration - sponge or other material (getting the gunk out), chemical filtration - carbon (note that carbon does NOT remove ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites), and then biological filtration.

Carbon isn't strictly necessary and if you are trying to get a "natural" look with tannins, etc. then you probably don't want to use it at all. It will take out the color. I have both read this and observed it in my tanks. If I use carbon, the water is more clear and less yellow. I actually prefer the more yellow look for certain fish, as their colors look better in the more "natural" water that has a bit of yellow tint from the plants. However, if you want crystal clear water, do use the carbon but be sure to replace it as instructed. It doesn't stay active very long and you will notice your tank getting a slightly yellow cast. Also, carbon is good to remove medications from the water, which is why medications always have as the first instruction to remove the carbon before dosing. (That said, medicine should be a last resort because if the environment is clean, fish are remarkable at healing themselves.)
not sure what HOB stands for but it is an AquaClear filter thank you for answering my question and adding in some details. Very helpful indeed

HOB-hang on the back. I do not use carbon filters except to remove medications, I fill in the space with more sponge
yes, it is a hang on the back my other one I filled with all sponge. I got a big carbon for under a rock^_- Carbon filter is good depending on what you want your fish tank to look like. there are pros and cons and preferences. Lest thats what i gathered from BeckyCats ^_-

To your initial question, yes it will make a difference having the filter media types reversed. Water is drawn into the filter and passes through the various media. The finest filtering media, which is the foam, should be the final stage, with the largest media (the bio max here) the first. Carbon (if you use it) in between. This allows the larger particulate matter to be filtered out by the larger media which will then not cause the filter to clog (or it shouldn't). Placing the finest filtering media (foam, sponge, floss) first means it will easily clog up faster.

To your initial question, yes it will make a difference having the filter media types reversed. Water is drawn into the filter and passes through the various media. The finest filtering media, which is the foam, should be the final stage, with the largest media (the bio max here) the first. Carbon (if you use it) in between. This allows the larger particulate matter to be filtered out by the larger media which will then not cause the filter to clog (or it shouldn't). Placing the finest filtering media (foam, sponge, floss) first means it will easily clog up faster.
Actually, for this particular filter, the sponge is the largest media and the "bio max" is the finest. The bio max is designed for biological filtration, not for filtering particulates. I have experience with this brand, which is how I know. :)

I have an aquaclear 50 and have 2 sponges on the bottom, then a layer of filter floss and then the bag of ceramics. The ceramics keep the floss and sponge from floating up if media gets clogged. I rinse out the sponges and ceramics in tank water every two weeks and replace the floss with new floss at that time. No need for carbon unless desiring to remove medication after treating the tank should the need arise. Tank has crystal clear water using this setup. Works for me and my fish.

I personally don't use HOB filters, they are to loud IMO. I use internal filters. I use a standard filter cartridge that i fill with carbon, that's step 1. Step 2 is i put in a thinly cut sponge to help keep the bigger stuff out, next, put in a thinner sponge made of different material. Just to make sure. This makes my tank water crystal clear.

I do like the internal filters for bettas or other tanks where the inhabitants don't like a heavy flow. They are nice and quiet, too. I love the hob on my bedroom aquarium though specifically for the noise. I find it difficult to sleep without it!

I use a nearly silent internal filter with my own properly cut sponge in my 5 gallon and just squeeze it out in tank water every two or three weeks to clean it. As far as noise goes, my aquaclear is very quiet compared to the penguin 200 filter. If noise would bother you and you want a HOB filter, I recommend the aquaclear. The only noise I hear from that filter, is the water flow as the water returns to the tank. If you fill the tank almost to the bottom of the outflow area, that lowers the sound of flowing water even more.

I think if I got a bigger tank, I would use HOB filters. But my biggest tank is only 29g.

Most reactions

Back