Zebra Snails,how Do You Look After Them?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

maisy12345

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi ,have just purchased 1 zebra snail from pets at home for my 110l tank,it`s been there a few hours and hasn`t moved,do they only come out at night and what do they eat ,also it`s shell isslightly damaged ,how do i mend it?

Some people recommend adding calcium to the water to assist the formation of snail shells (often in the form of cuttlefish) but in my opinion this is worthless, in that damaged snail shells just never seem to mend themselves in any kind of meaningful way - not to mention the relative effect calcium could have on water hardness and the fish. Your snail will very likely get along fine as it is with a slightly damaged shell and it's normal for them to spend long periods not moving, I'm sure it'll wake up soon. I had 3 zebra nerite snails myself a couple of years back but donated them to my LFS when I realised they were responsible for the appearance of hard white eggs in every nook and cranny of the tank - unsightly and very hard to remove! Hopefully you won't have that problem, best of luck with your new zebra snail :)

Thanks for replies ,that`s why i didn`t get more than 1 as i didn`t want baby snails,i just put it in the tank after leaving it in the bag for about 20 mins.

They eat algae, scavenge food waste. Just thinking, if you've ever treated the tank with medicines containing copper or heavy metals somehow, there could be a problem - otherwise I bet he'll be out and about soon.

I remember at the time when I had mine reading about the eggs, apparantly they very rarely hatch in freshwater and need brackish water to hatch out successfully. Your solitary snail might still lay these little hard white eggs I'm on about. My plec couldn't even rasp them off the glass.

BA breeds snails on here he often says those Settlers Tums tablets are good food for them as they contain calcium. Once its used to the water im sure it will be all over the shop.

They usually start coming on the move at night. I rarely see mine moving during the day but in the evening he's out everywhere.

Hi Marie ,and has yours laid any eggs,and what do you feed it on,also do they poo loads?

Thanks ,does yours do loads of poo?
I must admit,i do not even know what snail poo looks like.My tank needed at least a weekly clean with the aqua one filter i had and the filter sponge needed constant cleaning.I have just installed an external Eheim to it,to see if that improves it.My mollies pooh a lot and the little snails that came in on the plants and breed in there keep shedding their shells.I move the little snails into my bigger tank and sit for ages watching my clown loaches eating them.The snails have done a great job of reducing the amount of algea growing in the tank.

Can`t believe it ,my snail still hasn`t moved since i bought it at 10 o clock yesterday ,so it`s obviously dead , i`m angry that i`ve got to take it back to pets at home with a water sample to get an exchange ,wouldn`t mind but it was£4.99,which was dear,you think that they could check if they`re alive?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back