Zebra Snails,how Do You Look After Them?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Don`t know ,but it definately hasn`t moved and hasn`t ventured out of shell!

they will often do that, put some blanched courgette in and see what happens! PAH will give you a refund/replacement if it is dead...

I believe I read some while back that a dead snail smells AWFUL when it dies. I also believe it exudes ammonia in large quantities, so my suggestion would be to get it out of the tank pdq.

Took it back and exchanged it for an apple snail[alive this time]at a different branch the woman couldn`t believe it as when she picked it up there was hardly any snail left in shell.

Did i hear my name ? :lol:

Ok alot of incorrect info floating about so....

Snails grow as well as their shell, in water below ph 7 the shell will errode and cause pitting then these form large holes that expose flesh and will kill the snail as it rots. It can repair it self to an extent if the damage is caught early. Adding Calcium is NOT pointless at all that is how they repair there shells and they will get bigger and stronger then those without.
As alot of regulars know i have raised and sold over 1800 Apple snails this year and i use tums with all my snails as a tablet contains 300mg of elemental calcium and the sails will make a be line for it so their is no fear of it spoiling the water like cuttlebone can do left in water.

check some of my other threads on snail care or drop me a pm im happy to help :good:

I believe I read some while back that a dead snail smells AWFUL when it dies. I also believe it exudes ammonia in large quantities, so my suggestion would be to get it out of the tank pdq.

How Did your snail get on.My snails do make lots and lots of waste.I had to buy an external filter but it works a treat

Hi ,took the zebra snail back as it was dead [nothing inside] and exchanged it for 2 apple snails,will this be a problem ,i don`t know ,probably end up with loads now?:lol:

Hi ,took the zebra snail back as it was dead [nothing inside] and exchanged it for 2 apple snails,will this be a problem ,i don`t know ,probably end up with loads now?:lol:

Apples do not change sex like other snails they are botn male and female so will just depend what you got

Sorry ,don`t understand, aren`t water snails the same as normal ones[hermaphrodites],hope i`ve spelt that right ,one snails quite large ,the other small ,but i`ve already seen them together?
How many baby snails should i expect and when ,and do they lay their egs above the water line,thanks for all your help?

No apple snails are not hermaphrodites, there are 1 sex. If you have a pair(male and female) and they breed they will lay eggs above the water line you cant miss them and clutch will be approx 200+ eggs depending on the female

Ahhhh!! 200 eggs ,saw the two snails entwined together ,transferred them to my 28l from my 110l and a few hours later have noticed white dots ,assuming that they`re eggs floating in the water,will they all hatch,please say no.?

they lay clutches maisy, which are sticky blobs about an inch long and as thick as a finger. They seem to harden a little after a few hours. I had 3 apple snails two of which laid a clutch at least once a week. In the end i returned them to the local shop, i had to keep an eye on the tank lid every few days as i didnt want a bazillion of them. I actually had a whole clutch hatch out about 4 weeks later, i kept one in a container. I kept one and gave the rest to a friend, its about the size of a 20p now :) Interesting creatures, but not something i would want breeding.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back