Your Views

my personal opinion is that religion is there because there is no real explanation as to why the big bang happened, we will find out one day.

But we already know the answer, it's 42 :)

In all seriousness though once we've figured out the big bang we'll then be asking what was before that or what when are universe collapses in again, what is outside of or after that?...there will always be an unknown I think which will require some to have a belief in something that fills that void...and require others to search for a scientific explanation of the "next" thing

mine turn for a chew,

Religion is a weird thing for me ( not saying its weird)but I have had things happen to me in my life that don't make me feel like I have a savior.Also never been to church in my life so that could be also why I am a Atheist.

But I am very ok with religion,but when people are killing people just because they believe in a different religion then that bothers me,

(Not trying to say I am anti religion in any way shape or form)

faith is just not a gift that I have received.

You must realize that people who kill themselves and others in the name of their religion is not what the particular religion preaches. The person has a very twisted and heavily contorted view of life, and their belief system. For instance, the Bible does not endorse murder, slavery, homosexuality, or other controversial subjects one might pose. So, when someone says they killed someone because God tells them so, they are basing that all the way back to their take on the Bible, or Torah ect. People love to take verses out of context and then use it for their personal use (crusades ect.). If you went to a modern church today (at least in the christian church) you will not find people sitting their re-reading verses ect. You will find upbeat music, dancing, and people on fire for God. Many people get upset because someone else tries to force their belief on them. I completely understand that. Anyone who does that is asking for trouble. There is a difference from sharing your belief and forcing it upon someone. But, I fully believe in sharing what you believe. Christians who really are worshippers of God, and not a easter sunday church goer will be more than willing to share his/her belief. Because we CARE. I would love to see everyone on fire for God, and everyone in heaven, but it's not realistic. Which is why forcing religion is not a good idea, as you will only scare the person away.

Kaivalagi : I am not trying to preach on here. I am clarifying the Christian religion as many people view church as a place you go to because it's required, and not because you want to. People easily get the wrong view of church because people it's easy to imagine a boring, Pious Christian. Clarification and preaching are two different things.

I don't want to see flaming of that magnitude
wink.gif

lol good ackbar reference :)

this is just a question but where does it say in the bible that god is against homosexuality? and even if tey were its a sin and god forgives sins so then wouldnt it still be sorta ok?

and i srta remember another aspect tomyself as i remember when i was going to confirmation that the minister or whatever he's called read partsfrom the bible and what-not and i actually wrote a journal asto what i thought, it far too long to retype but the basic jist is extra terrestrials who basically invented the aspect, and i put as an exapmple how ancient structures were very similar and thet when after JC died the disciples went back to a house or something like that and later they heard a "great fire and sound" (space ship) above their headsand JC seemed to go up to the sky (beam me up scotty sorta thing)

just something i noticed is all

so i guess if i was to classify myself i guess one way im like chris that why cant they get along and in the other hand im E.T. sorta thing

still think its a bit like a fish tank tbh :lol:

I am not trying to preach on here. I am clarifying the Christian religion as many people view church as a place you go to because it's required, and not because you want to. People easily get the wrong view of church because people it's easy to imagine a boring, Pious Christian. Clarification and preaching are two different things.

I know you think you're not preaching, you're sharing your beliefs as you say, it was just a word of warning because I have read what your aspirations are in other topics and know that you want to be a preacher, either soon or after theological studies ;) I have relatives who are pasters, lay preachers etc for a variety of church denominations in Fiji and they have the same principle of sharing of beliefs where they can, which I interpret as preaching sometimes, they can get overly excited by their own words it seems and go too far...atleast they used to go too far but they know me better these days and when I am around they take the easy road otherwise I start nagging at them :)

I know churches are not always boring, I have witnessed my fair share of varying church gathering in Fiji, e.g. Pentecostal, All Nations, Methodist, Baha'i and I've even been to a few Hindu weddings too. I had a church wedding Fijian style (my second to the same women) as part of the Sunday service, you can see a pic in "Meet the members", a link to it is in my sig. I know that they can be very active and emotional for all ;)
I still stick to every think I've said, and I guess it depends on what you think is not preaching verses what others think it is
good.gif

I don't believe in any kind of god or reigion. I think they are all really bad attempts for us as humans to try and define what we just don't know. To me its no different than the tooth fairy or santa. All made up by us.

You mean there's no Santa? No tooth fairy???

Now that's upsetting.

The simple fact is, even telling people what you believe in, some will consider pushing your religion on them.

My mum died just under 2 months ago, and when something like that happens, I now understand why people turn to religion. I still don't believe, but having something to believe in would have made it easier, to believe she was in a better place, instead of rotting in the ground.

i don't pray or anything, but my mum prays every night, and when i was told that i had leukaemia my mum kept praying that i'd be fine, and then when i next went to hospital my white blood cells where fine again, and i didn't have leukaemia. and then they found a tumour on my thyroid gland, which kept growing, but my mum prayed that it would stop growing, and it did. coincidence... i'm not sure.

i don't pray or anything, but my mum prays every night, and when i was told that i had leukaemia my mum kept praying that i'd be fine, and then when i next went to hospital my white blood cells where fine again, and i didn't have leukaemia. and then they found a tumour on my thyroid gland, which kept growing, but my mum prayed that it would stop growing, and it did. coincidence... i'm not sure.

Whats so special about you then? Why would you be healed but then millions of children starving everyday and everyone else dieing of these diseases. I think its silly to give something you have never seen, the credit for these things. If there was a god then its a total wang if thats how it works.

I'm the same, Science is everything in my mind, if the story in Genesis of Adam and Eve is true then why do Males and Females have the same number of ribs? You may say that God left them there as a test of a persons faith, but I believe in evolution, I could also pose the point, why do we have a colon if we didn't evolve? Science has proven too much for me to be able to believe in any religion, my personal opinion is that religion is there because there is no real explanation as to why the big bang happened, we will find out one day.

On point 1, I'm sure I remember seeing something about how that's possible a translation error and god actually used the penis bone- something most other animals have but we don't (and a few other species). On point 2, you mean appendix. Colon = good. Appendix possibly = good, I'm not sure what the latest research suggests but I read something about a possible immunological role.

Also

In all seriousness though once we've figured out the big bang we'll then be asking what was before that or what when are universe collapses in again

If it contracts at all, which it probably won't, depending on how much extra mass they find down the back of the cosmic sofa, so to speak.

Whats so special about you then? Why would you be healed but then millions of children starving everyday and everyone else dieing of these diseases. I think its silly to give something you have never seen, the credit for these things. If there was a god then its a total wang if thats how it works.

i wasn't saying that there's anything special about me, it just seemed strange. maybe the doctors around here are rubbish at diagnosing things? :good:

In all seriousness though once we've figured out the big bang we'll then be asking what was before that or what when are universe collapses in again

If it contracts at all, which it probably won't, depending on how much extra mass they find down the back of the cosmic sofa, so to speak.

Good point, I was harping back to older theories I guess...all I was trying to really make a point on was that the universe is probably not everything...there might be more than one, what was before the big bang etc etc...if we get all answers for the "bubble" we live in which I doubt, there will always be an "unknown" which religion fills the void for if people need that...
good.gif

Didn't they find out, the universe is expanding at a progressive rate. So rather than slowing down and falling in on itself, it will expand faster and faster and then just rip apart at the seams so to speak.

As for why the universe, space and time started, not how, I highly doubt we will ever know.

Didn't they find out, the universe is expanding at a progressive rate. So rather than slowing down and falling in on itself, it will expand faster and faster and then just rip apart at the seams so to speak

Yep you're right, I was thinking of the old theory, I'm getting on a bit now, the grey cells aren't what they used to be :)

As for why the universe, space and time started, not how, I highly doubt we will ever know.

Sounds like a reason for god for some right there though really, which is my point ;)

Science can explain the big bang from something miniature and progression there after, but for the time before that (time is a bad choice of words possibly :)) what was there and therefore how did the big bang actually begin? We might have an explanation for everything in "our" domain but what about outside of it?

Sounds like I am arguing for religion now, I'm just trying to make the point that religion will have a purpose in humanity part, present and future to fill the unknown they we may never know...

I think god is a bad guess by us to try and explain what happened. Its like "well we will never know, lets just say a big wizard in the sky started it and move on".

Most reactions

Back