Yet A Another Newbie

Fish noob

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been lurking in this forum for sometime. I finally got 2nd hand 10 gallon tank with a filter.

Few questions:

the filter i have is very simple, water goes one way and comes out the top. No noise since it is not a mechanical filter. It has carbon pad and biological pad (tray with plastic mesh).

1. Is this good?
2. i know enough to not use carbon pad but what should i replace it with? any sponge from dollar store ok?

I had fish before when i was living there. I never used heater or filter and never had fish die due to ammonia. This was about 13 years ago, I am completely clueless about the process.

is this a good water conditioner? water conditioner
thanks

I dont know much about the filter you have, but seachem prime is awesome stuff. I have always used it for my tanks. Its great because it has chemicals to reduce ammonia to less harmful substances, which is great because I have ammonia in my water.

Hi Fish Noob and welcome to the forum :hi:

Would you be able to uplaod a photo of the filter? That way we can guess what you would be able to fit in there. It's always a good idea to have some fine filter wool in the filter to help "polish" the water and remove all larger waste particles in the water.

Most reactions

Back