Yellow Tang

Ter

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The yellow tang I got yesterday has ICH I'm 99% sure! I can see the white bumps comming out slowly and he rubs himself on rocks! I called the petshop this afternoon they said bring it back with the proof of purchase! I lost the proof of puchase infact I probably put it into the garbage strate away yesterday and down the garbage shoot! I'm not quite sure what 2 do!
right now i have
10 bleu leg hermits, 3 scarlet hermits, 1 yellow tang, 2 green chromis.
options at this point?
Ter

you're tank is "just cycled" and you've added a tang and two chromis...?

Take the fish back to the shop.

Put the money loss down to bad planning.

Start again and go slowly.

I'm not expert and I have no fish yet, but I have been reading a lot about it and here is what I think. Seems like yes you do have a fish with ICH. I would move the invertebrates to a different tank, lower the salinity to 1.009~1.010 of your tank and raise the temp to 78-80 for about 14 days. I would also use a copper based remedy to kill the parasite, but DO NOT use with the invertebrate that will kill them.

The other option is to move that one fish to another tank and apply the treatment there.

Did you buy the fish with a credit card? If so the store might accept a credit card bill.

Wait for other people's opinion

Good luck!!!

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

will do if they accept them.. probably will maybe not the tang with ich. the bag i got of live sand said i could add 16inch of fish right away with my size of tank. I've added less then that all my readings are at zero nevertheless i'll bring them back u know more then I.
Thanks Ter

I'm not expert and I have no fish yet, but I have been reading a lot about it and here is what I think. Seems like yes you do have a fish with ICH. I would move the invertebrates to a different tank, lower the salinity to 1.009~1.010 of your tank and raise the temp to 78-80 for about 14 days. I would also use a copper based remedy to kill the parasite, but DO NOT use with the invertebrate that will kill them.

The other option is to move that one fish to another tank and apply the treatment there.

Did you buy the fish with a credit card? If so the store might accept a credit card bill.

Wait for other people's opinion

Good luck!!!

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

Na if i needed 2 use a credit card I wouldnt have got into this hahaha... but they will probably take the tang back just wont get my cash back.. but *shrugs* who knows. Thanks for the link

I use my credit card so I can get point for a free plane ticket ;) I use to live in Quebec City 10 years ago. In Charlesbourg

If you can remove the fish to a QT tank, say a 15gal tank, here's what you do:

Fill with tank water. Over the next several hours, lower the salinity of the tank to a 1.008 sp. gravity. Be absolutelysure you have a properly calibrated measuring instrument. A plastic swing arm I can guarantee you will be so far off that you will kill the fish. You need to calibrate against a known solution. See here for how
to make one: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php

You need to keep the fish in this QT for 30 days with no spots. If on day 15 you see spots, you start the clock over.

NO rock in the QT. Put a large piece of pvc or something like that for the fish to hide in. No lighting needed either.

You must test the water daily. Any evaporation will raise the salinity. Topoff is essential to keep the level and thus salinity stable at 1.008. If it goes over, the ick will attack the fish again.

30 days.

Feed a mix of M.Y.S.I.S. (company initials are P E I forget their name.) Into this, add the following according to their instructions: Seachem Focus and Seachem Metronidazole, and saturate with one of the garlic additives -- may as well use Seachem's. Kent's is good too. Best is to melt the fozen food in a bit of water, enough to soften it, add the meds, and re-freeze. I would add also spirulina flake, or Formula Two flake, before re-freezing. Feedt his and only this the entire time.

By the time the fish is 30days spot free, the display ought to be ready to add him back.

Unless you have fish in there still. In which case, ich will be there too. But the tang should get stronger and maybe it'll fend off upon reintroduction.

Oh, after 30 days you have to raise salinity by one point per day until it matches the display. When it matches, reintroduce the fish. No acclimation necessary as you will use tank water to adjust the QT.

If spots reappear during this, back to the regimen.

If you wish not to use tank water you can raise with fresh but then you may have more stress to the fish on reintroduction.

Most reactions

Back