Fabulously Flawed Fowlr

FishForBrains

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new on this site but have had a saltwater since January, which isn't all that long. In that time period, I have been uninformed, unskilled, and unexpecting. This tank was a surprise Christmas present. It was bought off of Craigslist already running with fish and 10 lbs. of rock and 20 lbs. live sand. My current 55 gallon set-up doesn't have any of the original inhabitants. The original creatures in it were as follows:

-NO CUC
-1 Ocellaris clownfish
-1 yellow tail damsel
-1 three striped damsel
-1 coral banded shrimp
-1 Cleaner Shrimp
-1 sexy shrimp
-1 white condy anemone
-1 feather duster
-1 chocolate chip star

Current Set-up:

Parameters: 0ppm Ammonia
0ppm Nitrite
8.2 ph
(uh oh here it is) 30 ppm Nitrate

Fish Stock:
-2 ocellaris clowns (1 black one orange)
-1 red firefish
-1 One sailfin tang (a gift that the store wouldn't take back, will rehome when it outgrows tank)
-1 melanarus wrasse

Names of Fish:
Black clown's name: Clownfish
Orange Clown's Name: Goby
Firefish's name: Firefish
Sailfin tang's name: Mr.Tang
Melanarus wrasse's name: The Wrasse

CUC: 15-20 red leg hermits

40 lbs. live rock
20 lbs. live sand and 30 lbs. crushed coral

2 hob filters(soon to be removed since they are contributing to my nitrate problem)
2 t8 15w 50/50s from coralife
2 t8 15w 10000k daylights from coralife
BakPak protien skimmer
2 Marineland Penguin powerheads 550 (craigslist lady wasn't sure)
-No sump

I feed my kids (aka fish) Gutloaded spirlina brine shrimp(everyday), hgh quality flakes(every other day), and seaweed sheets(everyday, not whole sheets) for the tang.

I was thinking about doing a liverock as your filter filter, but i don't know if it requires a sump. I will look into it.

Fish tanks are not a good present for people who don't know what they are doing. I love them yes, but I had rough start, and I will try to get everything straightened out. I hope you experienced aquarists help me with my tank. I am ready to learn!

Oh, i was also wondering how an anemone could survive under such low lights? (lighting listed above)She had it for six months and i had it for 2 untill the chocolate chip star ate it.

welcome to the forum

I might as well be the first to say it.......pictures please!

LOL, you need to clean your tank. I say this with affection and understanding. If you saw the state of my 8g you'd know why. Full of coralline. It's everywhere. LOL

I'm a bit confused, I also saw two yellow tangs in there?

L

Lol llj that was the backround, it had tangs on it, they just werent moving.

And yes, tank could use a clean on the front.

The sailfin looks nice, but you are right if ot gets too big its time to rehome.

I didn't see the wrasse but ill assume all is well since all the other fish look good.

Yeah, It does need a scrub. The huge patch of algae won't come off no matter how hard i scrub! Guess i need some snails. Yeah, the wrasse is pretty new. It took me forever just to get a bad picture of him.

Lol llj that was the backround, it had tangs on it, they just werent moving.

And yes, tank could use a clean on the front.

The sailfin looks nice, but you are right if ot gets too big its time to rehome.

I didn't see the wrasse but ill assume all is well since all the other fish look good.

I gotta watch that background then. Poor fishforbrains almost got a warning from the Tang police. LOLOL

Yeah, It does need a scrub. The huge patch of algae won't come of no matter how hard i scrub! Guess i need some snails. Yeah, the wrasse is pretty new. It took me forever just to get a bad pictureof him.

You don't have snails?

No peektures!?? cmon we are foaming out of our mouths with anticipation.

-Tyler

I have pictures Tyler( if i may call you that). No, I don't have snails, i will pick some up tomorrow when i go get salt from my LFS.

Most reactions

Back