Yay Have Channas - Ornatipinnis

lilacamy931

Starting again
Reaction score
Nelly gave me my first snakehead fix today and they are awesome. I am just uploading pics for peeps, thanks to all who have helped me preparing for all aspects of their lives and a massive BIG THANK YOU to Nelly for being awesome :good: :D

They have had swims abouts so good sign and one has already had a stare out with me :lol:
4827649154_12a3444efc.jpg

4827025795_6575d58823.jpg

4827639610_4c0cdd4e23.jpg

4827032821_9487f977c5.jpg

4827631568_8270dec6b6.jpg

4827645412_4b30c3524d.jpg

LOL thanks kizno, have you decided on the species you want or going to see what is available at the time?

I would like the Assams but if not then i really like the Ornatipinnis . But i think its just going to be whatever i can get my hands on.

Looking good! Have they fed? How many do you have? How big are they? FULL TANK SHOT! :hyper:

Thanks lots peeps :) They have had a light meal of bloodworm tonight and all came out to feast, didnt want to over do it on first night in. They are a good size at about 4-5 inches? Really beautiful and fascinating to watch, thanks again so much Nelly. I shall gt full tank shot shortly :lol: they are in bed at the mo. Oh and I have 6 :hyper:

Well first signs of aggression are coming through, I havent witnessed any yet but two have small nips to top fin, two have face wounds (one is old, one is new) and there are also small wounds such as odd scale here and there. Will try and spend as much time as can with them but with work can only hope to witness if pair form and remove the others before death (fingers crossed). 5 out of 6 always come out and snuggle about except when food hits the water (blooming piranhas!), the 6th comes out eventually but usually slower and shyer than others.
Oh is melafix good with these guys to help wounds not become infected? With other fish I would copious water changes to help ease torn fins back but of course not with these guys ;) One thing I am really pleased about is their colouration, sooooo pretty, soooo fascinating and they eat anything! (OK that was 3 things :lol: )

All i can say is keep your eye on them, you should come to realise how they act, Iam now down to five in that tank, they as you have said have a few scrapes but nothing iam worried about....

I cant see why you cant use melafix,never myself but it could be ok?

You could preform little water changes,just do 1 or two buckets out and add new, i did this when mine got beat bad,that didnt do anything bad to them...

Heres a picture of the loser
3071651637_b6686a749e.jpg

unclenelly292.jpg

Brill thanks hon, going by what ou are saying, they are pretty small tiffs in comparison and the wounds are no where near as bad as those above (thanks btw that is just what I needed!) I did a small water change last night (2 buckets) boy was I careful to ensure there was a man on watch for jumpers :lol: All went smoothly and all 6 there this morning. Thanks Nelly, I will be the mother hen over them :good:

Good to hear they're ok! small W/C like Nelly said will be fine! if I do more than 20% mine go in such a sulk! I only ever saw a jumper once and that was when I got the from the LFS! It looked like it was going for the guys face! Hilarious! I never use melaflex or the like for wounds/fin rips or missing scales! Just small W/C

Thanks to both :good: Most likely a silly question now, would adding a plec to the mix be good? My tanks suffer from algae problems due to messy eaters and high protein eaters and am considering a plec for my fahaka tank and channa tank to help aid, my main concerns for plec in with the snakeheads is to produce more waste than useful and also when supplementing its food the snakeheads will eat it all up as they are voracious eaters, my main concern on the fahaka puffer tank is to have something well armoured against a potential attack as unsure how Nooki will react, though placing his behaviour with others who have the same aged/sized puffer he seems more docile, again dont wish to gain something that will outway usefulness. The one going in puffer tank will be more easily substituted food as can feed stuff the puff wouldnt like.

Thanks to both :good: Most likely a silly question now, would adding a plec to the mix be good? My tanks suffer from algae problems due to messy eaters and high protein eaters and am considering a plec for my fahaka tank and channa tank to help aid, my main concerns for plec in with the snakeheads is to produce more waste than useful and also when supplementing its food the snakeheads will eat it all up as they are voracious eaters, my main concern on the fahaka puffer tank is to have something well armoured against a potential attack as unsure how Nooki will react, though placing his behaviour with others who have the same aged/sized puffer he seems more docile, again dont wish to gain something that will outway usefulness. The one going in puffer tank will be more easily substituted food as can feed stuff the puff wouldnt like.
I don't know about the puff but I have 4 pleca in with mine! I haven't had any problems with mine they are 2.5" ish mostly I do move my stock around quite a bit! You should be ok but its tour choice! Don't blame me if it goes wrong lol

Right doing the small WCs have two that are looking bad, one Im thinking is a definate loser from the wound but what do you think?

Right, Flickr has changed and unsure how the get the images to transfer across, here is my flickr page and first 3 pics of wounds...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27863297@N03/

4860688622_856e370698.jpg

4860686158_855b91d0a8.jpg

4860063501_e975269cdf.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back