Wouldn't You Know

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well it's just typical isn't, a public holiday when all the local shops are shut except for 1 or 2 service stations and an air pump on your tank packs it in :sly: . Thank goodness :rolleyes: for fishing tackle shops.... because that is where I eventaully found a battery operated air pump designed to keep bait fish alive in buckets. Not an ideal situation as the pump is rather loud, but at least it should keep going until hopefully at least one of my local pet shops is open tomorrow. I am really glad that the air pump didn't quit on Sunday as all the local shops will be shut Monday and tuesday for Easter Monday and ANZAC day and then I'd be back at work again Wednesday, so a small benefit because I doubt the tackle shops will be open on the other publilc hollidays.

We're quite lucky here. They stay open (usually) over most holidays.

i went to one of my LFS today to get some LR and it was open.
think that they shut on more major ones, like easter sunday/monday.

but that was a lucky find!

In the UK shops have to shut on Easter Sunday. Except for those like our local Spar which fall into a sizing loophole in the legislation - my son used to work there, and they were one of the very very few legally allowed to open on Easter Sunday.

Just found the relevant info:

Seasonal and Sunday trading. Shops of more than 280 sq metres must not open on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday (except Scotland). Small shops are free to open when they chose on those days.

So small LFS can open in England and Wales if they want to but the big ones can't.

My LFS is open today, closed Sunday and Monday. But where I used to live, the nearest one was closed on a bank holiday monday the day a heater blew :rolleyes:

Unfortunately where I live In (Central Queensland) my local townships that recently all got bundled into one shire (there's a can of worms best avoided #$%^%^Anna Bligh :grr: ) and the shire only just got approvd 7 day trade and now there are often big spats between empolyors and employees over which day is the actual public hoilday and there fore which day they should get the penality pay rates. Christmas with all this was insane with all the pay issues especailly when you factor in casual staff (which many sales staff are) are already on a slightly higher pay than a full time permant staffer. It doesn't help that this is the first time in years that ANZAC day has fallen the exact day after Easter Sunday (monday being the holiday for sunday) so everyone who can has totally arranged their hoildays around getting 5 gaurenteed days off in one hit. Also the weather has been perfect for off shore fishing (the great barrier reef is literally on our door step where I live) and many people are taking full advantage of the great weather to restock their freezers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back