Would My Oscar Be Fine With A Crawdad?

lol I posted a pic of one, looks like the host has changed the picture
as it not an oscar any more :S

I don't want to argue either, but I'm intrigued about this oscar that can grow to 18". Did you actually see a picture or read about it (if so where please).

all documentation says they can attain 18"+ but i have not seen any larger that 16" tbh

Present me with 1. Just 1.

Fine, lets say they dont even get to 16", whats the width of your average 55? Around 15" id imagine, that means it can house an oscar up to around 8" long.

Unless your telling me that oscars dont grow much more then 8" then a 55g just isnt enough, sorry if you dont like to hear that.

I don't think anyone was debating that a 55 is too small for an oscar, just the fact that someone claimed a 18" one.

A standard 55 is 13" wide just so you know :).

12"-13" is more likely to be your standard oscar size for the home aquarium.

I think oscars should be in a 75g minimum for housing one. A 55g is going to be around 15" inches wide give or take, so does it even matter if they don't always get to 18"? It's going to be tight squeeze anyway at 12-15".

If I saw any 12" fish in a tank 15" wide I would expect it to be some eel shaped fish or some catfish that sits doing nothing all day, not a big chunky active cichlid like an oscar.

75g min IMO.

I would still like to see a picture of this oscar next to a tapemeasure. Agreed most oscars unfortunately don't get the tank or conditions they need, but a 18" (I'm assuming tank raised) oscar seems abit much. I would say for the majority of oscars, 14" is a good size. I'm not really doubting it but I'm abit sceptical, there could be a 'mutant one', just I havn't seen an oscar over 16" next to a tapemeasure.

There's a petshop a ways from here that sells full grown oscar. Most, if not all, are over 14 inches in length. They keep them in a super long tank with gar, full grown plecs, ect. I'll get pictures next time I'm back.

I would still like to see a picture of this oscar next to a tapemeasure. Agreed most oscars unfortunately don't get the tank or conditions they need, but a 18" (I'm assuming tank raised) oscar seems abit much. I would say for the majority of oscars, 14" is a good size. I'm not really doubting it but I'm abit sceptical, there could be a 'mutant one', just I havn't seen an oscar over 16" next to a tapemeasure.

There's a petshop a ways from here that sells full grown oscar. Most, if not all, are over 14 inches in length. They keep them in a super long tank with gar, full grown plecs, ect. I'll get pictures next time I'm back.

Looking forward to the pics, try and get one next to a tapemeasure or other item so that we can tell the true size. I'm not doubting a 14" oscar, just an 18" one.

Looking forward to the pics, try and get one next to a tapemeasure or other item so that we can tell the true size. I'm not doubting a 14" oscar, just an 18" one.

Is it really that much of a big deal? Would you put a 14" active fish in a 15" wide tank? I think hope not.

Is it really that much of a big deal? Would you put a 14" active fish in a 15" wide tank? I think hope not.

I've already said my opinion about oscars in tanks, 75 gallon min. And as I have said before I am just debating the validity of an 18" oscar, not what tank size they should be kept in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back