Would My Oscar Be Fine With A Crawdad?

shadowspar

Reaction score
i have an oscar in a 55g its not that big yet its about 6-7 inches. i want to put a crawdad in there to help with the leftovers, like the pieces of pellets that come out of its gills. i want it small enough to not harm the fish and big enough oscar wont eat it. so would that be ok im thinking maybe a 2 inch crawdad would be good?

Oscars naturally eat invertibrates, it might work for a while but eventually the crayfish will be eaten I would have thought. I don't think a 2" one would stand long against a 7" oscar, but then theres the chance of the crayfish injuring your oscar. I would suggest a catfish to clean up, though in 55 gallons there isn't alot of room.

55gallons is too small for an oscar, they can attain 18" which doesnt give your fish much space to move round :(
most inverts with any large fish are a no go. :good:

fish-1712.jpeg

:cool:

most dont see their true size due to bad tank conditions or people not knowing how to keep them and what they need.

Simply stated at some point the Oscar will find the crawdad delicious

I would still like to see a picture of this oscar next to a tapemeasure. Agreed most oscars unfortunately don't get the tank or conditions they need, but a 18" (I'm assuming tank raised) oscar seems abit much. I would say for the majority of oscars, 14" is a good size. I'm not really doubting it but I'm abit sceptical, there could be a 'mutant one', just I havn't seen an oscar over 16" next to a tapemeasure.

I would still like to see a picture of this oscar next to a tapemeasure. Agreed most oscars unfortunately don't get the tank or conditions they need, but a 18" (I'm assuming tank raised) oscar seems abit much. I would say for the majority of oscars, 14" is a good size. I'm not really doubting it but I'm abit sceptical, there could be a 'mutant one', just I havn't seen an oscar over 16" next to a tapemeasure.

You've also never seen a blue whale next to a tape measure, doesnt meant they are massive.... :sly:

I just want to see this 18" oscar you speak of! Yeah, a 12/14" oscar is still massive, but theres a 25-30% enlargement that you say, which is quite alot.

Im not goign to argue about it, lol, go read the research adn factual books, and materials, or ask a true expert :)

I don't want to argue either, but I'm intrigued about this oscar that can grow to 18". Did you actually see a picture or read about it (if so where please).

I don't want to argue either, but I'm intrigued about this oscar that can grow to 18". Did you actually see a picture or read about it (if so where please).

all documentation says they can attain 18"+ but i have not seen any larger that 16" tbh

Even if 16" were the maximum lengh, that still means that realisticly you should keep them in a tank over 20" deep so allow plenty of space to turn around. I dont think a 55 has that sort of depth.

Most reactions

trending

Back